All Work & No Play... Gets Things Done

Hubby and I have been working hard over the past few months to get a second floor bathroom done.  What was once just a shell of a room with sub-floor and studs is now a nearly finished amazingly awesome bathroom.  Complete with a deep soaker tub/shower, lovely pedestal sink, a high end high dollar toilet we paid nearly nothing for, and a brand new washer/dryer set.  There are finishing touches still to be completed, little things.  But overall it's a done deal.  You can see a couple different views HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Between bouts of working on the bathroom, we've also been dabbling about the house getting other things in order.  We finished painting the nursery, rearranged our TV room, tossed out a bunch of junk, installed two new kitchen windows (at the same time eliminating a door and two other windows in preparation for future kitchen remodeling endeavors),  and other random odds and ends which slip my mind at the moment. 

So you could say that we've been pretty busy.  Between both of us working jobs outside of the home and doing all these things in the home, we've really been fortunate to still find time for a wee bit of (albeit very minimal) play time. Aside from a trip to visit his dad for a night and attending the annual New Years' get together at our friends house, we really haven't taken any time for real fun just the two of us.  I'm hoping to convince the hubs to take a day this coming weekend to just kick back and enjoy ourselves.  Maybe take in a movie, maybe go flea marketing or something like that. 

My job as a seasonal employee at a major retail store is nearing its' end.  I'm only guaranteed employment through the end of the month.  I can stay on longer if I wish, as I'm sure they'd love to keep me and keep from hiring a new employee that they will have to train from scratch.  But our store is currently in the middle of a MAJOR remodel and while that doesn't really affect my job overall, it's causing some irritation and may lead me to terminate my season earlier than I'd planned. 

The remodel is gonna be great in the long run, updating the store and making it feel new and exciting.  But the process to get there is really not a place for a pregnant woman to be working.  Yesterday I was dealing with bouts of dizziness and nausea due to the smells of the various chemicals being used in the remodel process.  They are tearing up flooring, laying new flooring, both of which require noxious chemicals to accomplish.  Not to mention the amount of dust being created as crews cut out sections of concrete floor to install other things like drain and water lines and such. 

I know it can't be good for me to be breathing in all that crap, especially the chemicals.  And I really am not sure I can keep putting myself and my baby girl in harms way that way.  At this point it's a matter of protecting my unborn baby by avoiding potential dangers.  And since they're remodeling throughout the store, it's not like I can be temporarily reassigned to a different area to avoid being exposed. 

So, if when I go in to work tonight and find that it's much of the same, I am going to have to sit down with my boss and have a talk. 

Luckily, I'm not in a place that I am required to work at all. I'm just keeping myself busy and keeping a little money to "play" with coming in.  My husband has hit a point in his budding career that we can breathe easier financially and know we can survive on a single income. It could get tight, but we can deal with that.  We've been smart, too, over the past year and put away a good chunk of money in an "emergency fund" (which I highly suggest you do as well!) and should something happen, we know we are covered on all fronts for at least 3 months.  Plus, with the type of work my hubby is now doing, it's highly likely that he'd be snagged up by another company well before we depleted our savings. 

Basically, I have to put in my notice at work, it's no sweat.  Because for once in my life I'm prepared. 

Comments

june in florida said…
The bathroom is beautiful and the washer dryer is a must have with a baby.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up