Digital Camera Help...

I recently bought a Kodak EasyShare M863 camera at Circuit City. I am not thrilled with the quality of pictures and some of the camera's functions. Mind you, I've only taken about 50 pictures so far, but when I uploaded them to my laptop and viewed them on the screen, they just looked horrible.

My old camera was a Sony Cybershot DSC-S600. It took GREAT pictures but it had a lot of mechanical issues. I'd sent it back to the factory three times and it could really be worked on agian, but alas, my warranty is kaputz.

So I've snapped off my usual fare of en route, on the road pictures and all of them suck. I've tried about 5 of the major "settings" and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, but they all turn out grainy and "foggy" and just crummy.

For the money I paid for this camera it should take better quality pictures.

Of course, today I reviewed the new camera online via various sites and it seems that the "crummy picture syndrome" is pretty common with this particular camera (and other Kodak's as well).

Has anyone recently purchased a compact digital camera that consistantly gives you great quality pictures? I've been surfing the net looking for product reviews for other cameras and while they all have their quirks, I am torn as to what I might actually like. I figured that if anyone out there has recently made a digital camera purchase and would like to offer a little insight about their camera... I'd be anxious to hear it.

I want something compact and lightweight. I don't give a crap really about Mega Pixels as long as it's greater than 3. I also want reviews on cameras you've actually used yourself. The good the bad and the downright horrible.

Any body able to help me make a better choice? Consider Circuit City's current selections as I will have to return this camera to get a trade in or money back for something better.

Comments

Gypsy said…
I used to have a Kodak EasyShare. It was all right. Now I have a Canon Powershot A570IS, and it's pretty much the best camera I've ever owned. It takes great pictures in simple auto mode that come out nice and crisp, even when shooting through a dirty windshield at 60mph. :) Not sure if you care about manual features, but I use those a lot, and they're pretty advanced for such a small camera. And it's very light and portable. I had done a lot of research before getting this camera, and had decided on a Canon early on because of its overall reliability and good history of making quality cameras. The particular one I got was the latest in the A-series at the time, and I had decided on A series because of its manual features. My dad also had a Canon A-series camera a few years ago and loved it. However, a friend of mine who is a professional photographer told me that the Canon Elph cameras are the only point-and-shoots she'd ever use, so that's something else to think about.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous said…
I dont know anything about cameras but "www.komando.com" is kim komando's web site. anything she recomends is ok. She has radio shows and columns.
Anonymous said…
We share a Canon digital Ixus 75 which is very small and sleek with lots of features and also some good auto settings.
Pictures here ... http://www.panoramio.com/user/350553

You can click through the small pictures to some medium ones, then some slightly larger ones, but the originals are a good size 7 megapixels.
We tried a 10 megapixel camera (different brand) before this one and it was dire!

The ixus also has a very good video quality which translates to a tv screen size very well.
Anonymous said…
To see bigger size pics from the little Ixus click thru these pictures here ...
http://cathincanada.blogspot.com/2008/10/well-its-been-week-or-so-since-mick.html
Anonymous said…
I really like my Nikon CoolPix L18 and it was quite cheap -- don't think it was more than $130 and probably much less. Takes good pictures, video and audio (although that's not great).

Please take that Kodak back to Circuit City pronto and try again!!

Got my Nikon at a BestBuy; it had lots of cameras that were inexpensive and offered a lot of features. (I didn't research much, just bought the current version of what I had before. The liquid crystal screen on that one broke due to impact; camera still works well...)

Eventually I would love to get a digital SLR, which will be in the $1,000 range for it and lenses, but hear they are making some great cameras ....

Good luck!

And please share your pictures! Do you have a link, other than your Myspace or Facebook. (Like the idea of your retaining privacy for your family and friends. but us virtual friends want to see more road pics!!) We are living vicariously!

Belle
Anonymous said…
Hello do you ever meet any other y women drivers out there your age or younger just wondering . I really like the blog keep up the good work. Tim Upstate NY Tim_bateman2002@yahoo.com
Anonymous said…
we've been using a sony cyper-shot (6.0 mega pixels) for a couple of years. very satifsied. circuit city has a little better sony camera (7.2 mega pixel): check this out
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-S750-7-2-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-DSCS750/sem/rpsm/oid/205957/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

hope this helps.

jack
Sam Huss said…
I use a Sony CyberShot. 8.1mp It does a great job for me. Only complaint it the auto focus, from time to time it will focus on the bugs on the windshield rather than whatever I'm trying to snap a picture of. Walmart has them for 179 last I knew.
Anonymous said…
Second Nikon & Cannon as the best in digital cameras as mentioned already. I have a cannon powershot great camera for light weight & smaller size with outstanding picture quality.

EW
The18Wheeler said…
Canon Digital Elph. It's the only point and shoot that I'll ever use. I've had mine for a number of years now, and it's still going strong. Check out the pictures on my site, they're all taken with it. It lacks some of the manual features that I'd like, but if I wanted a manual camera, I'd get an SLR. I wouldn't mess around with anything else.
Anonymous said…
My son bought his girlfriend a Cannon Digital Rebel and it takes awesome pictures. Also Circuit City just filed bankruptcy today so you may want to get the camera back.

My name is Nancy and I used to be a LTD and drove team with my husband way back in the 1970 and 1980 when ladies just started to drive. It was a lot of un but could not do it now. I have been reading your blog and enjoy it very much.

A lot has change sence I drove but you are very brave, I don't think I could drive by myself. But if I did I would have a BIG DOG and a small gun. You be careful out there and do not trust anyone.

Hope to be a new friend .

My cb handel was Pepsi and my husband was Little Joe.
The Daily Rant said…
OMG - I can't believe I missed this post!! The two cameras I use are made by Canon. I don't think I'd use anything else. These are my two:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd870is%2Ccanon_s5is&show=all

And that website is a GREAT source for comparing and shopping. It's www.dpreview.com

Let me know what you wind up getting!

Popular posts from this blog

Open Forum

Don't Panic