Yikes...

My head is killing me so for those of you who are lazy readers, this blog will suit you perfectly. ha! Unless of course, I get on a roll and my fingers walk quickly all over this keyboard. Which, honestly... probably won't happen.

I just wanted to blog a quick one to mark the occasion of my survival of my first taste of winter. I had picked up a load in Illinois the other day which I had to deliver in Charlotte, NC this morning. The route the company gave me took me along the southern route, the route I decided to take took me into WV where I could have lunch with my sweetums and only be 30 miles out of route.

Of course, had I taken the southerly route I'd have postponed my first snow squall of the season. But instead I got to drive right through the thick of it. And honestly, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. The I-77 corridor going south through WV, south of Charleston that is, is notorious for it's winding turns and steep grades. It's also where most of WV's worst weather hits in the wintertime, thanks to the higher elevations. But it was beautiful to behold as I made my way down the mostly wet roads. By the time I passed through the area the salt crews had done their jobs and were probably home relaxing with a hot cup of cocoa.

I really did take my time, but mostly just so I could enjoy the scenery. I didn't see any accidents, which is a good thing. Apparently earlier in the day the turnpike was a mess! Go figure... glad I missed out on it.

I made it to Charlotte last night with no problemo. Delivered my load this morning and got moving towards my next load. I picked it up in Salisbury, NC which is a town I am coincidentally quite familiar with thanks to some really great friends we have that lived there and hosted us when we happened through the area for an annual Bike Rally. Unfortunately, they moved this year so I couldn't pull over and give them a call for lunch today.

I did get my load, however, and headed southwest. I will deliver outside of Chattanooga tomorrow morning and hopefully get my next load towards home. I had scheduled a week off the first week of December but cancelled that last week and opted for three days this weekend and three days in the middle of Dec. instead.

So I am really looking forward to some R & R this weekend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't see any snow pics from your new camera!
Anonymous said…
Gi-Gi,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been through that part of I-77 many times. It's quite beautiful and captivating (especially when the snow is on), but on the other hand, (for me) nothing quite compares to running the Donner Pass through the Sierras out I-80 way... and if they've had you pull a load out there this time of year, then you probably already know what I'm talking about....

Keep'er safe out there ;)
Angela said…
You should see pics now mickfly! Enjoy!

And Highway All-star...I've never been down Donner Pass... yet anyway. I hope they hold off until nicer weather!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic