I'm a FREE Woman!

I appreciate all of the concern expressed in regards to my escape from New Hampshire. I did finally get the out bound load I was waiting for on Wednesday morning. I picked up in Mass. and headed south to Va. En route I even got a stop over at our terminal in Carlisle, PA complete with a hotel room for the night. woo hoo

I drove from Carlisle to Lynchburg, VA where I delivered in the afternoon. Then I headed to the Ga. Pacific in Big Island, VA to acquire my next load. I was told that I could head over and probably get in line to be loaded early. So I hit the road, enjoying the rolling hills and curvy roads towing an empty trailer (not so much fun with a heavy load). I arrived and checked in only to learn that they could not load me any sooner than 21:30 last night.

Unfortunately for me, my 14 ended at 20:45 so I would have to take a 10 hr. break and check back in the morning. So, that's what I did. I settled in for the evening, chatting with another company driver who was parked next to me. We gabbed for a couple hours then I decided I probably should get some shut-eye.

I got about 6 hours of sleep before I woke up at the sound of my alarm. It wasn't really time to get up however. Nope, dummy me set my alarm clock for an hour earlier than I actually needed. So I reset, and dove back under the covers for a little more slumber.

My 10 hr. break ended at 1 am. So that's when I got up and moving. I checked back in at the guard shack and was annoyed to learn that the load was pushed out even further. The load was rescheduled for SUNDAY. UGH! But thankfully, they had another load, going to the same place that hadn't been assigned yet. Sooo, they had me call in and ask to have it put on me. And without any real question or aggravation the load was mine.

Muahahaha.... (was that sinister enough?)

So I was directed to the docks, headed there promptly, and was loaded and out by 2:15 am.

The first leg of my journey was a long and lonely one. I didn't see another automobile of any sort for at least an hour. No one was on the CB radio and the FM radio apparently sucks that late into the night. So I drove in silence, in and out of dense fog... the only living thing I saw for that entire time was thankfully only a bunny rabbit. Which escaped unharmed.

Finally, I started seeing other drivers. Not too many at first, but once I got in I-81 I realized that I was back in the land of the living. The rest of the trip would grow in 4-wheeled populations as the morning wore on and people headed to work.

I drove non-stop to Charleston, where I was hoping to be yesterday, to greet the morning in my hometown. My sweetums was still asleep when I dialed the house at 6:30 am. But he dragged himself out of bed and picked me up.... such a gem he is!

Of course, we got to the house and went straight to bed. (and not like that you dirty pervs!) It was great to sleep a couple more hours... in my own bed to boot! Then it was time to get a start to the rest of the day. First order of business.. and shower with out shoes!

I've mentioned before, I'm sure, about the simple pleasures in life. I've learned more than ever to never take the simplest things for granted since I've been out here on the road. And showers without shoes is one of those simple things. But I digress.

After a tasty lunch of fresh sushi I saw my sweetums off for his weekend business trip. I laugh when I think about it being a business trip. He will be working and it is out of town, but it's not like any idea conjured up by the term "business trip". Anyway, so he left town and I hit the town. My first stop was back at my truck to get some paperwork I needed to take with me to the DMV.

Second stop was the DMV where I made attempt number two to pass my hazmat endorsement test. And I succeeded! yay. It seemed a lot harder this time, the questions were trickier but thankfully I studied really hard and learned as much as I could to be as prepared as I could be. I went in knowing I'd pass... I left thankful that I actually did!

After that I headed to Circuit City where I exchanged the crummy Kodak Easy Share camera for this hot little number. So far, so good. I've gotta play around with it and get used to the settings, but I can already tell it's 200% improvement over the Kodak. I'm so excited. I think I have a winner!

High on shoppers adrenaline, I had to keep spending. So I headed to Books-a-Million and bought three classics I've always wanted to read, but never have (for no particularly good reason). Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, 1984 by George Orwell, and Animal Farm by George Orwell. I'm looking forward to reading them.

But first will be my recently purchased, autographed novel "The Christmas Sweater", by Glenn Beck (my favorite talk radio guy). I've got a feeling that it's going to be a moving and blog worthy story... so you'll probably hear about it soon. ;o)

I also bought a Christmas t-shirt that is hilarious. A photo will appear here in the future with me in the shirt, so I won't spoil it yet!

And now, I'm hanging out all alone watching the Wizard of Oz on TBS while blogging. I keep getting distracted, because I've not watched this movie in nearly 10 years. The last time I watched it was with my mom, who has been gone for nearly 9 years. It was her favorite movie of all time. She could watch it over and over and always with a huge smile on her face.

She liked the Wizard of Oz almost as much as Alan Jackson, Elvis Presley and TY Beanie Babies. haha! (I miss ya mom!)

Well I'm outtie for now. Expect some new pictures from my new camera in the next week or so (provided I have time to upload some). Have a great weekend ya'll!

Comments

The Daily Rant said…
Glad you're out of NH - it's not such a bad place to be stuck - you could have been in West Texas. ICK!

I really hope you enjoy your camera - I absolutely LOVE the Canon products!

As for the truck on the ferry - yes, we took the truck on the ferry. The ferry runs at 11:30 pm and 11:30 am on the two days we were there. You have to arrive very early to get a spot since it's first come, first serve and the commercial traffic on the ferry is crazy. The ferry web site states (for commercial traffic), that daily crossings transport 50% of all the goods including more than 90% of
all perishable items to Newfoundland. Cool, huh?

So yeah - they drive all the trucks on the ferry, along with passenger cars and then you go upstairs. You can't stay in your truck during the crossing. It costs about $1000 for the round trip, but the company covers it, thank goodness!

Anyway...looking forward to your pictures. Drive safe!
Anonymous said…
Enjoy that camera (great choice) and showers without shoes. Do you like to cook? Suspect that's another home pleasure one forgoes in a truck... maybe it seems more exotic when home.

About to bake a birthday cake for my sister. Thinking of a "retro" design for the frosting, and hoping the cake does not just look odd or tired.

Have a great weekend and glad you are safely home.

Belle

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic