Decisions and Indecision

So after viewing a statement of what my direct deposit paycheck will be for tomorrow, my decision of when to put in my two weeks' notice has been cemented.  It will be done tomorrow.  I can't really justify working while putting myself through the pains that I have been dealing with being pregnant and on my feet, plus putting up with the remodeling dust and chemical laden air all while making peanuts.  If it were like truck loads of peanuts, maybe.  But a hatchback full of empty peanut shells... hardly worth it.

So now that the end is in sight, and THAT decision has been made, my mind is now going to be able to focus on other more pressing issues that require decisions.

Like naming my unborn child.

It's funny (but not) how we were set pretty solid on a boys name only to learn that we're having a girl.  It was going to be so easy.  But now, well... we can't even come up with a list of possible girl names.  I will rattle off a few names to the hubby just about everyday it seems and none of them strike his fancy.  None of them really strike my fancy either, to be honest.  So we're finding ourselves at a loss most days in the baby naming department.

Names I kinda like are names he's got some reason or another to be against.  And he doesn't really bother throwing any names back at me of his own.  So yeah, this is gonna be a tough one.

Of course, before the last couple of days I kept getting the "We've got plenty of time to choose a name" line from him every time I'd start spitting out possible names.  But after a late night conversation with a neighbor of ours, during which my poor hubby had several fears put in his head by said neighbor, now it's a pressing issue that must be resolved, STAT.  Why the sudden urgency?

Well the neighbor told him tales of his own two children being brought into the world, both at or around 6 weeks early.  So now hubby is convinced this is going to happen to me too because I've had Braxton Hicks contractions so often and other "tell-tale" signs, just like neighbors (ex)wife had while pregnant with their two children. (thanks for freaking my hubby out neighbor!)

Everyday for the past three or four days I've heard, "She's gonna come early, you know."

To which I typically reply, "Yes, and that's why I've been bugging you for weeks to get things done and get a name picked out. But I don't think she'll come too early, maybe a week or two at best."

Then we banter back and forth about when she'll arrive and how unprepared we are, never really resolving any of the things that need resolving... like picking a name.

Last night he said, "What were those names you rattled off the other day?"

Like I can remember...

I rattle off names everyday and most of them are met with a wrinkled nose or a definite "no".

I started trying to think of names I'd tossed at him recently and at one point he said "It was that day.... but not those names."

It's exhausting.  Men! HAHA

I have no idea what names he was thinking of, sadly he doesn't either.  I guess I should compile a list of all of the names I kinda like and let him look it over and see if it was one of those.  Since most of the time I throw the same names out over and over again, mixing in a new one or two that I am not really considering at all just to see if he takes a shine to any of them, it shouldn't be too hard to make a list that contains a name he thinks he might like. 

I suppose that by the time baby girl does arrive we will have settled on a name.  I mean, we've got plenty of time, right? hahaha

Comments

Q-Ball said…
My ex and I ended up reverting to my heritage for a name.. native american. But, while what we found was really unpronouncable in my nation and others we really liked were really long as NA names tend to be, we went with one that was really pretty but can be shortened to a nickname.

Anyways, my point is... have you thought about going back to the strongest point of one of each of your heritages and seeing what there USED to be around? That might be a great start... or find a nickname you like and develop a full name from that. Oddball way to do it.. but if he don't like the names your coming up with it might be time for a new process.
some asian guy said…
family names helped us. think of a favorite relative. with a little luck, you'll have time to write down a few after you've quit work.

remember these days. once baby's here a while, you'll hardly believe they ever happened. hang in, toots.
The Daily Rant said…
I really like Daryl's idea - I'm a big fan of bringing back what used to be around or using something that is indicative of your family ethnicity - or a combination of.

But what about using one of the boys names you chose and "girlify" it? Or just go with the boys name as is - it'll be unusual for a girl and maybe you can pair it with a girly middle name. Your last name is a pretty good fit with everything...it's not weird or unusual or hard to pronounce, so that's good.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up