All Natural

So it's really finally starting to sink in. 

I'm gonna be a mother. 

There is a life growing inside me that will make it's world premier in the next two months. 

And once that happens my life will be forever changed.

I'm looking forward to it, of course, I'm excited as can be.  But it also scares the hell out of me.  I'm being told that that's a perfectly normal reaction.

I sat and watched a series of videos posted on YouTube  b  by a woman in England last night.  Three videos where in it detailed her journey from the time her water broke to the time she delivered her son.  I believe her labor lasted somewhere in the ballpark of 38 hours from start to finish.  She had a natural birth, only receiving Pitocin to urge her cervix to dilate when it wasn't doing so naturally.  She got no epidural and while you could tell she was in agonizing pain for the final stage of labor, you could also tell that she was gonna survive it, which of course she did. 

The video series took about 30 minutes to watch in total.  I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of it, especially the last video.  I cried as I watched her labor to get her precious baby boy out of her womb.  But let me state for the record that it was NOT beautiful to watch, it was terribly horrifying.  So much pain, so much pain.....

However, it was natural and normal and that alone is what makes it beautiful.

I have witnessed childbirth first hand.  Nearly nine years ago I was there with my sister as my niece made her way into the world.  My memory of the event is foggy at best.  I joke saying that the look on my face the entire time must have been one of absolute horror and that it mustn't have been too comforting for my sister to see me looking like I was being attacked by demons as she pushed that sweet squirmy little baby out of her body.  But she made it, I made it and baby made it and all the rest is history. 


I can only imagine what I will see on the face of the loved ones who are at my bedside as I labor to give birth to my own baby soon....

I have to admit that I want to attempt to give birth naturally and drug free.  I've discussed with my hubby and midwife staff my desire to avoid the drugs during the birthing process.  I am open to the idea of getting an epidural should I find that I'm too much of a wuss to handle the pains of labor.  But I really do want to give it what I call the "good 'ol college try" drug free.

Many have told me I'm crazy for wanting to go all natural.  But I figure if I can make it through that, I can make it through anything.  So, I'm gonna give it a shot.  I've set my mind to it and those who know me, know that once I've set my mind to something I aim to accomplish it. 

What's sad to admit is my concern over getting an IV while in the Maternity Ward.  I know I will have to get one, as a "just in case" kind of thing should anything happen that requires the use of intravenous drugs or fluids. 

But I worry about getting one because of silly things that my mind thinks about.  Such as, what happens if it gets jacked up and super painful while I'm pushing and clenching fists during the final phase of labor? What happens after I give birth, will they take it out or leave it in until I'm discharged from the hospital?

I worry most about them leaving it in for my postpartum stay because I have had plenty of IV's over the past couple of years and I know how badly they start to ache and such after just a couple days.  I HATE IV's. 

Sadly I think I'm more worried about this little IV issue than I am about the actual pain of labor. 

I know, I'm nuts. 

But I really really really dislike IV's. 

I just realized talking about this sort of stuff has probably run off many of my core trucking readers.  Sorry guys and gals, but since I'm not trucking anymore and this is what my life is about right now, this is what ya get.

For those of you who have stuck with me, thanks bunches. 

Well I gotta switch out laundry again and get started on some of the other "to-do's" on my list for today.  Hope y'all have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up