Elusive Sleep

So I was tired and ready for bed when I crawled under the covers at around 6:30 yesterday evening.  I go to bed between 5:30-6:30 pm on work nights, so I can have time to get at least a solid 7 hours of sleep before I have to get up and be at work around 3:30 am. 

I drifted off to the sound of my custom lullaby courtesy of an app I have on my iPhone.  The music and background noise relax me and lull me into a steady breathing pattern that help me fall asleep quickly.  When I downloaded the app some years ago I played with various combinations of the sounds and songs it contained.  Finally finding that a light hypnotic piano and violin melody added to the sounds of a summer thunderstorm made the perfect combination for me.  I have it set to shut off the app after an hour, but rarely ever have I found myself being aware of the sounds no longer playing.  I'd venture to guess I am out within 15 minutes, so long as I allow my mind to clear and focus on my breathing. 

Last night was no exception, as I fell asleep quickly.  I awoke feeling refreshed and revived and realized I'd not been awakened by my alarm clock.  I found that odd, but was not entirely surprised, since I had gone to bed so tired.  I then realized I had a full bladder and that the bed beside me was empty. 

It was dark out, but if it was as late as I felt it was, hubby would have already been in bed with me, snoring away like usual.  But his pillow was cold.  I pressed the button on my iPhone to see what time it was. It was only 9:30 pm.  UGH

I got up to use the restroom and heard hubby watching TV in the living room.  I went in and kissed him goodnight and crawled back in bed.  I lay there, trying to relax myself back to sleep and simply couldn't manage it.  I wasn't comfortable in any position I tossed myself into.  My mind began to wonder and honestly I just couldn't make myself feel tired enough to sleep.  Around 11 pm I gave in and got up, went down stairs and played on my phone for a bit as hubby made himself snugly warm in bed. 

I attempted to sleep on the couch, getting as comfortable and warm as I could.  But all I managed to do between 11 and 2:30 am when my alarm went off was cat nap.  And of course as I got myself ready for work I began to realize that I wasn't rested at all... I felt like a zombie and have pretty much all day.

I did manage to meet my sister after work and make a trip through Sam's Club with her, then we went to her hair stylist and got trims, which I needed to do desperately.  Then she and I came back to my house with the intention of doing some cleaning in the room that is to be the nursery before giving up and just sitting here gabbing and planning. Then when hunger hit fast and furious she and I drove down to the local Captain D's Seafood and got ourselves some lunch. 

Now I'm sitting here in the silence of the house contemplating taking a long hot soak in the tub and then going to bed.  I don't work tomorrow but I have things that need to be done, errands to run and such.  I could stay up until hubby gets home this evening and visit with him a while, and I may well just do that instead of going to bed early.  But boy am I tired....

Guess I should get used to it, as everyone keeps pointing out that once the baby arrives I'll never sleep again.... *btw that's not what an exhausted hormonal pregnant woman wants or needs to hear* 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up