Wallet Hemmorage

I swear I have got to spend the rest of my week in the house. I went out and bought things yesterday for my return to trucking and of course I spent a small fortune. Actually most of the money I spent was for household groceries and goods which we desperately needed, but still... I ended up spending a good amount of money on items for my next trucking adventure.

I picked up a new 2012 Motor Carriers Atlas... which I needed because the last Atlas I bought was in 2009 and surely there are some new things in it since then. I also picked up some pillows and such for the creature comforts on the road. I picked up a few safety items as well including a safety vest, hard-hat and gloves. I also snagged a steal of a deal on a "tub-o-zip-ties" at HoBo Freight.

Zip ties are a truckers best friend, really. I used them a TON when I was out there before. From fixing things to securing things, they came in very handy. Heck, I even managed to temporarily repair a broken bunk window with the help of my orange duct tape and a couple of zip ties and the instruction of a very patient emergency maintenance representative.

I snagged a little package of adhesive backed velcro squares that I can use to secure items in the bunk as well. Super handy to have and I highly recommend them.

Anyway.

I had vowed to stay inside today and stop spending money but that didn't happen. No, we ran to Staples and I picked up a two pack of scissors, (hey... we needed one pair to replace the ones here at the house that I broke recently...) and I got a little pleather bound palm size note pad with replacement note pads that will be handy for writing down directions and such.

Ooh yeah and yesterday I also managed to reactivate my XM Radio, which is exciting. Really exciting. Now I will get to listen to my old favorite shows again. :)

and.... I've successfully distracted myself watching Reno 911! on Netflix. Sorry.

Back to the blogging.... sheesh

I got e-mails from the Big Orange today confirming my Orientation and giving me instructions regarding what to bring, what NOT to bring and when to be where. About an hour after I received that I got a call from my recruiter to confirm I got it and go over any questions I had. My primary question was "did my drug screenings come back ok" because I was concerned about the hair follicle one.

I came back squeaky clean according to her and that was a huge relief. Not that it would have kept me from working, but I would have had to deal with the headache of going to the hospital records department and went through the insane hoop jumping to get a copy of my ER visit breakdown to show I was given the morphine and such on a doctors orders.

My next question was regarding the required start time for Orientation. I was under the impression that I just needed to be in Indy on Sunday to start classes fresh Monday morning. But I was mistaken. And I'm glad I asked because I'd scheduled my rental car for Sunday through Friday. After our phone call I went to the website to change it to Saturday through Friday, which surprisingly only changed the reservation quote by 6 dollars.

My final question was if I would be required to take the hotel shuttle to and from the company terminal or if I could drive my car there and back. Of course they said it was mandatory to ride the shuttle because they couldn't assure available parking spaces.

But that's okay too really. I know that the shuttle ride is very short, if all the lights are green it takes less than 3 minutes to get from the terminal to the hotel. Hell you can walk from the terminal to the hotel in probably 15 minutes or less, depending on how quickly you move.

I'm kinda planning to take full advantage of the hotel while I'm there too. I don't know how long the training days will be but if time allows in the morning and/or the evenings I'll be using the pool and the fitness center. Dang now I have to dig out my old bathing suit... I have no idea where that thing might be! haha

I'm looking forward to the drive out to Indy. It's been ages since I went north and west out of this state. I just hope the weather holds out and makes for a nice smooth trip.

I'm least looking forward to leaving my sweetie behind. I wish I could take him with me for the trip but he's got class and things he's been working on here at the house. Plus he needs to make sure he stays available just in case one of the many places he's applied for call him to schedule an interview or something.

I'll also miss him once I'm officially out on the road again as well. I think that above all other things, my biggest fear of returning to the road is how badly I will be missing him and how much it might hurt my heart. But, like before we will likely talk multiple times a day, as much if not more than we do now. We used to spend countless hours on the phone together when I was out on the road before. I don't doubt that it will be a little different this time, now that we're husband and wife. But I think we'll manage and make it work.

Well I think I'm gonna sign off for now. I need to get to work making that big pot of chili for tomorrow's lunchtime munch-time. I like to cook it a day ahead so it has time to steep overnight and develop its fullest flavor. I might also be cooking up a pot of potato soup for tonight's dining experience. I'm not sure yet though, because I picked up a few items to try my hand at making my own homemade version of Taco Bell's long lost Chili Cheese Burrito's. Mmm...which to make. I'll let ya know.... later. :)

Comments

Truckingtiger said…
I was wondering about how you would feel leaving your better half behind. I didn't want to ask and seem like I was prying though. Ill tell you this, being married to my soulmate and best friend...it isn't easy, but we both know that me being out there is what is best for our family to get back to where we need to be financially. It sucks being away from her, but when I get to come home to her, it is the best thing in the world! I think you will be fine, GiGi...
Belledog said…
I'm just glad you are off that bus!

I hope your husband gets to go out on the road with you a little, if that works out with his commitments.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up