Truck Driver Training Installment: Phase 0.75

So today, in my book, doesn't even count as a full training day. We took our pre-work screen physical assessment thingy to make sure we were physically capable of performing the basic job functions of being a truck driver. Although, they didn't have us hold a steering wheel in one hand, the gear shifter in the other, while balancing the atlas on our knees OR have us try to keep a coffee cup from overturning in the cup holder as we hit simulated turnpike potholes. Now THAT'S real truck driving.

But the physical was just as it had been when I came through SNI training back in 2007. I passed it with flying colors and was pleased with my ability to lift 40 lbs and squat under a metal contraption meant to simulate a trailer.

After my two training comrades completed their individual physicals it was time to watch a short, one hour power point presentation about the company's benefit packages. That was about as exciting as watching paint dry. But it was necessary and, very occasionally, informative. At least I know going forward what plan to select and what to opt out of.

After that was done the instructor handed out our pumpkin bibles, the nearly two inch thick company manual for all things related to our daily duties as safe, courteous and hustling associates. (their wording not mine)

There were just the two other people in class with me today, but we have been informed that there are a few more starting tomorrow, but I bet they are independent contractors from the sounds of it. Tomorrow we start class at 7 am sharp and are told to expect to be there past 4pm. No biggie. We were also informed that we will have our initial road test tomorrow afternoon as well. So I will get to find out sooner than I'd anticipated if I can still drive a 65' rig or not.

And that's about it for now folks. I'm sure I can't possible cry about my hotel room anymore than I did in the previous post. And since there hasn't been anything else particularly noteworthy today there really isn't much else to blog about. So I'm gonna go, maybe hop in my rental and go see what I can get into, maybe just sit here and stare at the television screen until my mind goes numb. Whatever I get myself into... I'm sure you'll hear about it tomorrow. :)

Oh and by the way, did ya notice the "like" button I added on the right of my page? I started the old Gi-Gi Roxx FaceBook fan page again... so if you're into that sort of thing be sure to go check it out!

Comments

TruckerInPink said…
Hey - me being me.... If this the hotel that SNI is using, I would let your recruiter know how gross it is. That hotel/motel sounds just as lovely as the Halmarc Inn in West Memphis Arkansas... It was like the Norman bates motel. Lol
Angela said…
Ahh the Halmarc inn. That place is where all the local pedo's go. It always gave me the creeps. Allegedly they are not renewing the contract with the hotel here in Indy. Going to a new, hopefully better place. We shall see.
TruckerInPink said…
Ewww it was bad enough that I kept thinking of that movie with Norman bates & his mom, they owned a hotel... Can't remember the name of the movie.
I'm super excited that we got to meet!!! Made my day!!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up