Training Over: Back Home

So as I said in the previous post I arrived home yesterday evening. I drove from Indy to Charleston non-stop. I tried to consume very little liquid en route so I didn't have to stop unnecessarily. I just wanted to get home. Of course by the time I got home I was about to bust and upon pulling into the driveway and racing up to the door I realized my keys were somewhere in my luggage and I had to cross my legs while I searched frantically for them.

But I digress....

In my previous employment experience with this company I had very little time between the end of my training and the time I was expected to pick up my assigned truck and hit the road. So I just kinda figured on the same thing occurring this time around and prepared myself for it mentally.

As soon as I got my car (and my bladder) unloaded I filled the washing machine with my dirty clothes and started shuffling the things I needed on the road into the area I'd designated before I left for Indy as my "trucker pile" in the living room. I wanted to have as much in order and ready to go as possible.

My hubby arrived home shortly after I texted him that I'd arrived home. We caught up with our day, exchanged stories, and then ate dinner and settled in. It was funny when we decided to leave the kitchen and move upstairs to the tv room. I figured I'd go switch out the laundry loads real quick and headed down into the basement. I heard him shuffling from one room to another and back again then head upstairs. I wondered what the heck he was up to.

When I got back up from the basement into the kitchen I saw what he'd been up to. Belated Valentines awaited me on the counter. A giant wooden Hello Kitty face mounted on a bean bag (aka a lap desk) and a pair of knitted pink socks with 3-D pigs sewn onto them.

I was laughing my arse off when I got up to the tv room with my treasures. He said he couldn't resist the socks because they were so ridiculous and he was right. They were quite insane. But I wore them the rest of the evening, occasionally making snorty piggy noises. We'd both then laugh and shake our heads at each other.

And actually right now I'm typing on my laptop which is sitting on my Hello Kitty lap desk. I've been wanting a lap desk for some time now because my laptop can get hot after some serious online time and it's pretty irritating. So I was seriously stoked to see that my sweetie had bought me a Hello Kitty version.

So after a relaxing evening at home with my hubby and a good 10 hours uninterrupted sleep, I woke up this morning around 8 o'clock. After starting a pot of coffee I decided I'd better get on the horn and try to get in touch with my new boss, by the way DBL is what I shall refer to him as in the future and DBL stands for Driver Business Leader.

So I dial him up. I truly expected a hold time. But it rang in right away. But a different person then who I was expecting answered the line. I explained who I was and who I was looking to speak with. After a brief hold I was patched through to the guy I will be dealing with for all my trucking needs.

We introduced ourselves, learned that we're from the same area. He grew up out near where my dad now lives. So after a few minutes of hillbilly chit chat we set to business.

I was informed that I was #5 on his list of new drivers in need of a truck. He asked me if I was certified for the automatic shift trucks and I told him I had driven them before but not recently. I also informed him that I was not inclined to jump into an auto shift unless absolutely necessary. I want a "real" truck. But that also at this point, I want to be able to run freight and if that means I take a auto shift to get moving, then so be it.

We spoke on a variety of other minor topics and then ended our call with the promise that as soon as a truck becomes available he will call me with details of where it is and such. So right now, I wait anxiously for the phone to ring. He said it could be as much as a week before something becomes available since I'm essentially at the bottom of his "need truck" list. It's first come, first served basically.

But then that could end up being really good... but it could also be really bad. Because the drivers before me could all turn down a trashed up truck and I could get stuck with it. But of course I'm just speculating. I could speculate all day really and still not know what to anticipate in terms of what sort of ride I'll end up with.

I guess what I should be doing with my down time is going through a names list or baby name book and start compiling a list of potential truck names. I laughed with my hubby earlier as I said "now watch I'll end up with Kenny or Marge again....".

And that WOULD be my luck. haha

Comments

Belledog said…
Maybe truck name Gina?

As in Orangina?

Gi-Gi and Gina, hitting the road again.

Hope you get a good truck worthy of the luxe lapdesk and socks.
some asian guy said…
and here we are. i'm sure it will name itself.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up