I'm Not Classic, I'm not Vintage...

No no... I'm retro.

My hubby and I were out and about today and ended up in a couple of random antique shops in the area. We call them junk shops, since most of the stuff in them isn't anything more than just that.

Junk.

During today's browsings, much like many of our recent junk shopping adventures, I spotted items that were once in my own household or those of family members when I was growing up.

Today I found many more familiar items than usual and it sent me on a trip down memory lane in a big way. There were knick knacks and what-nots and toys and house hold goods that were so familiar to me that I could swear they were taken right out of my memory and placed on the shelves and tables around me.

Each new discovery set my brain into a backward motion, remembering so many things.

Among today's treasures there was a Hobnail candy dish with a butterfly on top that reminded me of my weekly chore of dusting the living room.


Then I spotted an exact copy of the mirrored tray that my mom used to keep small items on in the bathroom. For some years is sat atop the toilet tank and was home to mom's scented talcum powder container and some old school Avon perfume containers in various insect and animal shapes.
A few booths later I found a very neglected Barbie dream bed, complete with pink frilly canopy cover and matching comforter. I took way better care of the one I had as a child.




I spotted a few Hot Wheels cars that I remember my brother and I spending hours playing with in the living room floor. And a ton of Gone with the Wind collectibles which could have easily been all of the items that both my big sister and my Grandmother owned, combined.



I spotted The Barbie Game, which was my mothers when she was a child and which my sister and I played when we spend time at our Nana & Pawpaw's house. She almost always got first pick of the boyfriends and I almost always got stuck with Poindexter.




I love finding the little things in these shops that I have so many memories attached to. I also like considering the amount of stuff in a single shop and countless memories attached to the items under that one roof.

Which leads to me getting overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of the memories sitting upon shelves, gone but not forgotten from the lives they once were a part of.

Comments

Truckingtiger said…
"what nots". Thats what my grandmother called her "collection".
Angela said…
I've heard them called all sorts of things. From cotchkies and ornaments to what-nots and of course knick-knacks.

It's interesting though, of all the places we have browsed through piles and piles of junk, I've ever once stumbled upon one of my mothers favorite knick-knack collectibles... Unicorns. My mother had a large collection of ceramic, porcelain, and even metal unicorns.

It kind of shocks me that there aren't any out there on the shelves of these places. Maybe it's one of the few items people never give up or put up for sale.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up