Holy Cow! Why Me?!

Today I was really put to the test. I survived milky dense fog in north western Iowa and the south western corner of Minnesota this morning. I didn't drive any faster than necessary, the rule of thumb being don't drive so that you can't slow down or stop in the distance which you can see with your headlights alone. I had about quarter mile visibility at the best times and comfortably drove at about 55 mph. There were a few times I had to slow down though, when I couldn't see more than 300 ft. in front of my truck. Flashers are dandy and useful in such instances.

I delivered my load at the Swift Pork Company in Worthington, MN a little bit later than I'd hoped to, but still was way early. And while there I had friendly "in your face and up your nose" reminders of why I spent 14 years of my life NOT eating pork. The smell was overwhelming!!! I choked and gagged while dropping my load and picking up an empty. It was horrific. But, I once again survived.

After delivering I drove across the street to a little truck stop to park and wait for my next assignment. I ended up sitting there for nearly 4 hours before my Qualcomm started to beep with my next load. After checking Minnesota off the list of states I'd not yet trucked in, I was preparing to check off another.... South Dakota.

I've been in SD in a car, but not in my truck. And not in winter.

HOLY COW! Today the weather could be best described as freezing drizzle with strong winds. Add those two elements together and you get slicker than snot roads. Add in an empty trailer... disaster waiting to happen.

Well... a disaster for someone who doesn't bother retaining and reminding oneself of the proper ways to avoid disaster. Throughout winter, I made myself consider possible winter weather scenarios and how to properly and safely make it through them. The lesson I had to put to use today was that of what to do when you lose traction and feel your rig start to lose control on icy roads.

First I had to clamp my mouth shut, to avoid spilling the contents of my stomach all over myself and the steering wheel. Next I did what any driver should do and let off the throttle and pushed in the clutch. It took what seemed like minutes, but was merely seconds before I felt my truck regaining traction. I steadied my hands on the steering wheel and guided Trucky in the right direction.

I then promptly pulled over. Regained my composure. Swallowed a little throw-up.

My gawd it scared the living crap out of me. I had felt slips before, my drives losing traction, but never had I experienced a complete loss of traction, near skidding, or near jack-knifing. The worst part about the experience today was that when I scanned my mirrors after pushing in the clutch I couldn't see the rear of my trailer in my drivers side mirror, but I could see a good portion of the broad side of the trailer in the passenger side mirrors. That's never good.

I am thankful for the training I'd received and for the fact that I listened and retained the knowledge. I never expect myself to be so on-que and when something like this happens, and I react logically, instinctively, and quickly... I come out surprised.

After getting myself calmed down I decided on a plan of action to get me through the rest of my trip. I had less than 30 miles to go, and from the chatter on the CB, the icy roads ended about 5 miles ahead of me. Lucky for me the road I was on had gravel/dirt shoulders, so like many of the other trucks I saw coming and going, I hovered the rumble strips. One side on the gravel, the other on the road. And I made it safely to my destination.

I was loaded quickly and was on my way within an hour. I had three hours left on my 14 hour day that I could drive in, so I hopped to it. Thankful to see salt trucks treating the roads in both directions. I turned on my XM radio and tuned into the Weather channel to get an idea of what the weather was going to be like for the day ahead.

I wish now that I'd not listened... I'll be fretful the entire night now. Apparently... a blizzard is on the way to the Dakota's. Lovely. Didn't Mother Nature get my memo about no more snow?

So I had to do a quick determination about which road I was going to travel... I could continue along US-14 across Minnesota and then catch up with the interstate in Minneapolis or I could drop down I-29, catch I-90 and then cut up to Minneapolis to catch I-94 to Eau Claire, WI where I am to deliver my load tomorrow. Seeing that I missed the only truck stops before crossing into Minnesota on US-14... I decided to drop down on I-29.

I found a rest area and shut down, with less than 15 minutes left on my 14 hr. day. And now I wait... I'm trying to get a real weather report for my route, to see if I might make it tomorrow or not. But my Internet is being bitchy and not cooperating with the weather.com website.

So, I'll hope for the best... see what morning brings. And try to get a good nights sleep in the meantime. I'm glad today is over... I hope tomorrow is better. I can't wait to be sitting at home this weekend... sipping the beer I so desperately want right now!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Weather looks awful.Be safe.
Anonymous said…
good choice to stay off of us-14.
i run out in minnesota and north dakota all of the time and yes, it is an eerie feeling when you feel that truck go into a slide. you did the right thing in re-gaining control. the only advice i have is to take it slow. no load is more important than your safety and that of the public in general. have a safe trip and the orange moose told me last week that he missed you.
Anonymous said…
Good luck to you, Gigi, and thanks for the tutorial on regaining traction. Hope your guardian angel is well rested for the rest of the drive too!

Belledog
Anonymous said…
Hey, be careful out there! You may want to check out www.noaa.gov and enter a zipcode or city and state for weather updates, I like it much better then weather.com...
Angela said…
....Orange Moose?
FINCH said…
GIGI i really like your blog and would like to add it to my links list. Check mine out and let me know if i have your permission. Stay off the ice! LOL

Ian

http://truckerfinch.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
yes, the orange moose at black river falls, wisconsin - next to your favorite cheese-chowin' mouse.
Anonymous said…
Holy crap. You're good for swallowing throwup. I would have been throwing up uncontrollably. :)
Angela said…
Who are you? How do you know of my mouse and moose fetish in Black River Falls???

hahahahah

Just kidding... don't really care who you are... ;o)

But I do miss mr. moose and mr. cheese. (I'm great at naming things the obvious can't you tell?)

I had to fight the urge to go way out of route to see them while on the western side of WI yesterday.
The Daily Rant said…
We were right near you!! We were in Sioux Falls and then Fargo...I wish I read this earlier in the week! Wasn't the ice terrible? We pulled over for the night and waited till morning. And it was FREEEEEEZING, wasn't it?? Man, I'm sorry we missed you! Drive safe!
The Daily Rant said…
You might want to try NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association) for your weather. The site loads WAY faster than weather.com and they have more accurate reports. Plus, they're usually right up to the minute. Check out their weather site at: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

I use that all the time, keeping it on my favorites bar. Also, I like this one (from the Department of Defense and the Navy) when I need to know sunrise and sunset times: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

They're both very helpful sites.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello