Blowin' Stuff Up

Man, I've been seriously fortunate lately. Since I last posted, I had the pleasure of finally putting that darned HAZMAT endorsement to use by taking a load of potassium nitrate into Canada. Of course, my initial reaction was to wonder why my dispatcher hated me enough to do this to me. But then I realized it was just a fine opportunity to expand my horizons.

I was afraid that the load was going to be a huge hassle when crossing the border. Turns out, they didn't give two craps about what I was hauling. I approached customs anticipating much ado and received...well... nothing. I was in Canada in less than 5 minutes upon reaching the border crossing. Woo hoo! So far so good.

So I arrive at my destination and find myself thinking that finally the tables have turned and luck is running for the hills. The place I delivered to was a small "airline hanger" of a building on a road that was restricted to 5 tons per axle (which equals NOT ME). Of course, I had to take that road because I had to be able to actually get to the place.

Upon arrival, feeling a little nervous already, I found myself looking at a very tight looking driveway. So I put on my flashers, parked on the road and went in to take a look and assess the situation. I was assured that many 65 footers have come and gone with no problem whatsoever. So I got back in my truck and hoped for the best.

I made it into the facility just fine. I had to serpentine my way from the driveway to the back of the building where I then had to back up to low dock. I was unloaded in no time and free to go obtain my next load assignment. However, this is where I found my nerves really start to fray. In order to get out, I had to serpentine out backwards.

Yeah.... I said backwards. I've never had to do this before and was really starting to feel my stomach turn at the thought. There were lots of little obstacles that one wrong move would cause me to demolish. So after taking a quick walk through the area and making some mental notes, it was finally time to leave the way I came in.

I actually didn't run anything over, avoiding all obstacles with my wicked awesome skills! (hehe) And before I knew it I was on my way, back down the illegal street towards my next destination. Which I found with ease and was in and out of pretty quickly... and then USA bound. Of course, I didn't make it across the border the same day, but was well on my way with a stop at a Flying J truck stop for the night.

At the Flying J I found myself anticipating actual misfortune when I realized that the first of the 31 pages I'd faxed into customs wasn't completely filled out. I had called our cross border hotline for help with filling out what is known as an ACE E-Manifest Lead Sheet, which provides customs with the most important and pertinent information regarding your outbound load. I forgot to fill out one particular line of information and had a sinking suspicion the whole transmission would be rejected because of it.

If it had been rejected, I'd have had to fix it and re-fax the entire set of 31 pages... which cost me $33.00 to send the first time. I really didn't want to have to fax it again. So I waited the 15 minutes requested and then called to verify that they had received the fax. Usually, if there is a problem with the paperwork, you will be told during the verification phone call. I got nothing
other than, "Yes, we received it and it is being processed as we speak."

*shew*

So I went about my evening, eating a nice meal and then relaxing in my truck. The next morning I woke up and headed to the States. I half expected there to still be some issue with my paperwork and as I approached the border I started getting a little nervous about it. But, once again I was found fortunate in that I was in and out with no hiccups whatsoever.

I delivered my load in Iowa the next day. As I was delivering I began receiving my next assignment and promptly made my way to the next destination. I picked up a load bound for North Carolina and headed east. That night I made it to our terminal in Indianapolis for the night. Of course, anytime I have to take a DOT break there I head to the hotel we have a contract with. It's darn near a 4 star hotel (at least in my book) and the price is just right.

After a lovely night of catching up on Heroes (online at nbc.com) and sweet comfortable sleep in a queen size bed, I headed back to our terminal and got my day started. I had enough time on my load that I was able to plan a stop at my house for the night and still make on time delivery. So I did just that. I got home in the afternoon and had a wonderful evening dining with my beau and two of our great friends. We enjoyed beer and hot wings and trivia and laughs.

The next morning was even better. I don't know how much more lucky I can get... so I'm saying that Saturday morning was the end of the line for now, so as to not jinx myself.

The demolition of Building 82 in South Charleston, WV had been slated to occur at 9:01 am that morning. I was lucky that again my load had enough time to allow me to watch it live and in person before hitting the road. We weren't lucky enough to get ring side seats (and after seeing the cloud of dust in the aftermath I'm glad we were farther away), but we did get a nice view of the event from across the river. Below is a brief video (and a little grainy too) of the demolition. It was awesome.

More awesome because I'd actually stepped foot in that building years ago, high school I believe it was. And it was on "Take your daughter to work" day when I went with my best friend to hang out at her dad's office there for half of the day. What fun... not having to be in school for half of the day! haha

Anywho... so after the demo I got back to the truck and headed south in the rain, bound for North Carolina. I made my delivery and as I was in the receiving office checking in and such, I received my next assignment. They seem to be coming more steady now, with less wait time. How long that will last is anyones' guess, but I'm not complaining.

That next load was to be picked up at the same place I had just delivered to and was bound for New Jersey. I will deliver it tomorrow afternoon and then who knows where the road will take me. For now, I'm just enjoying a little Idle Aire and some down time before the week begins.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!


Comments

Bijou said…
Hey Gi-Gi,

It's good to hear you made it out of the country and back again with no problems. You sure do get around. I envy you sometimes when I'm stuck here with nuttin' to do.

Take care.

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou
The Daily Rant said…
Serpentine backwards??? YOU are my idol! I'm not even going to TELL Ed cause then he'll expect ME to do it - not gonna happen!

BTW - love the new hair growing out. Very cute.
congrats on having such a good week!....shall we say the luck of the irish was still shining on you???.....don't ya just hate it tho when a place is harder to get out of than it was to get into??...but you did it!!!...attagirl!!
Team Caffee said…
Wow nice job on the delivery and the backing! Very impressive.
If you want to see the Customs agent raise their eyebrows tell them you have hauling guns! We had a Department of Defense load and they had no clue what to do with us. Lucky for us an older guy stepped in and calmed down the younger agents and we finally made it through with out causing to big of a scene.
girlofwords said…
I'm with Rant ... your hair's cute!! :)

I got nauseated just reading about having to take a truck like yours backwards anywhere. I can't even back up the Hyundai Sonata without getting nervous.

Glad you're back in the country and that your time with Border Patrol was better than my last experience with them. :)
GoGo said…
YES!!!!
I love it when that happens.
Right place right time, you slip into some town and see a once in a lifetime thing and then you vanish.

with a camera of course!

Say, is Schneider hiring?

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum