surprise, surprise

For the first time since leaving company training in Indy 11 days ago, my new boss actually phoned me. Each time that we've spoken prior to today has been when I rang him. Heck, he never even returned my call last week when he said he would. So I was shocked to see a company number suddenly appear on my iPhone's display followed by the sounds of my Dexter ringtone.

Upon answering, he identified himself as if I had no idea who would be calling me from the company. He then proceeded to tell me about how he had a truck for me. It was over at a small terminal in Kentucky and it was an Ultra Shift (automatic). I heard him typing on his keyboard and then he kind of paused, then with a sigh he said something along the lines of "well I HAD a truck for you, would you mind if I put you on hold for a minute?"

I said "okay" and proceeded to turn the speaker phone on and lay the phone aside while I played on my tablet.

A little over 10 minutes later he came back on the line and started blabbering about how the truck was supposed to be in Kentucky already but was tracking in Virginia and was out with another driver for an unspecified amount of time.

"It should be back in Kentucky by the beginning of next week...." he explained. "The folks over there can get you certified to drive the automatic and you can be on your way in no time, I know you've been waiting, so the sooner you can get over there the better."

Um... if the truck isn't even there and it isn't clear WHEN it will actually be there why would I make a mad dash to get over there only to end up having to sit for an unknown amount of time waiting?! That doesn't do me any good.

I told him as much... as politely as I could.

"Well then I will just call you back when I know when it's going to be headed that way."

I explained to him that that's great and all. But then I asked about what would happen if another truck becomes available between now and then? And how am I supposed to get to where this truck "might be" in Kentucky (or possibly elsewhere) when the time finally game? I only have one vehicle and my husband is in school full time... hinting that a rental would be quite convenient.

He said if another truck becomes available sooner he'd call me. As far as how I'm going to get to Kentucky or to wherever my potential truck is parked, he can't give me anything for an answer on that right now. He can't say he can give me a rental because 'he's not the one in charge of that sort of thing' and that he didn't think that would even be possible.

WTF?! REALLY?

It was possible twice for me before. My first truck, good ol' Trucky, was in Seville, Ohio. I was given a rental car by the company to get there to get that truck. Then later on when my second truck Kenny and I finally parted ways I was given another rental car to go from Carlisle, Pennsylvania to Columbus, Ohio to pick up truck number three, Marge.

So I know the company gives drivers the privilege of a rental car to get where they need to be to get in a truck and get rolling. Unless some new idiotic policy prohibits it.

What I still don't understand is how this is even happening. I kinda feel like I'm getting the run around in more ways than one. And I'm seriously considering calling and talking to the next person above my boss to see what the real deal is. I mean, tomorrow makes 12 days... that's pretty well near two weeks since I completed training.

I think 5 days, maybe a week is acceptable waiting time to get a truck assignment. But more than that is just ludicrous. For a company the size of the one I'm allegedly "employed" by to not have enough trucks to dole out to each board is just plain insanity.

I keep getting excuses. And I hate excuses.

I just want to work.

I know, it's crazy! Right?

Someone willing and able and eager to work?

In this day and age I know I'm a rarity.

I'm just so aggravated!!!!!!!!

And with that being said I'm going to cease blogging for the moment.

Oh god don't freak... I don't mean for good.

I just need to step away from the laptop, away from all of my fancy social media outlets and just decompress.

*sigh*

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like the truck thing is getting closer. I'm guessing that since you went back to the same company as before that it must be an ok place to drive for or least will be again? KY Joe
Anonymous said…
Maybe you should try a different Co. The industry has changed. Your going to be doing a lot of night time retail delivery unless you run team..Check Con-way truckload or J B Hunt
Angela said…
I've talked to enough drivers at the company I'm going back to and haven't heard any complaints about the freight, delivery times and locations, etc. It seems like things are pretty much the same in those areas as they were just a year and a half ago.

KY Joe, I went back to the company for various reasons. But right now I'm starting to question them. LOL
Truckingtiger said…
Oh pray to Heaven and everything holy that it isn't an automatic. There isn't a truck made that I can't back into any hole out here, but backing this auto is a pain in my ass! It is awesome when you are stuck in traffic, no clutch to press, etc. but it gets boring letting the truck change it's own gears. Makes me lazy. Makes me just want to sleep. Lol. I'm praying for the day I can get my "real" truck again!
Angela said…
I didn't realize you were in an automatic too. I had one for around 9 months when I was with the company before. I hated the computer related issues I had more than anything. I never found trouble with backing a rig into a hole any more than I had trouble driving it forward. The chief operating complaint I had was with backing it UNDER a loaded trailer. Empty was fine, but loaded always made me really work for it, so to speak.
Belledog said…
Sounds like progress.

Do you think they're having the same "workflow IT" problems finding their tractors as finding trailers (as Trucking Tiger blogged)?

I hope the industry has not changed too much, and that you will enjoy your return.
Angela said…
I hope it's not changed too much either. I loved trucking and have really been excited to get back to it. But right now... I'm starting to feel less excited.
Anonymous said…
A driver with experience, such as yourself, would of had a truck by now if they truely needed drivers at this time.. Plus you are in their system from before. Call a higher up and try to get a definative answer...Your blog was very interesting when you were out on the road before, so my reasons are selfish.Good Luck

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up