Scientific Evidence

I had wondered why the midwife measures my belly with a tape measure at each visit.  I figured there was some sort of complex algebraic equation she was doing in her head based on the numbers she read on the tape.  But I read about it in my "What to Expect" book the other day and had to laugh at the simplicity of what she was actually doing. 

When measuring from the top of the pubic bone to the top of the uterus, the centimeters let the doctor or midwife know how far along in your pregnancy your "fundal height" says you are.  And FYI fundus is the medical term for the top of an organ opposite its opening.

So I decided to just try this here at home.  I grabbed a measuring tape, lay down on the bed and measured.  Sure enough, it was smack dab between 34 and 35 centimeters.  According to my estimated due date I am 34 weeks and 4 days into my pregnancy.  So I'm measuring right on track.

Mind.  Blown.


Comments

Belledog said…
37 days to go. My word. Sounds like you're getting as well prepared as you can. Best wishes, Gi-Gi.
Belledog said…
Have you been watching "Call the Midwife" on PBS?

It's quite good.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello