Nursery Nesting

So yesterday my brother-in-law dropped the on-loan crib off at the house for hubby and I.  We looked at it, contemplated putting it together right away and then decided we'd better just leave the house and try it later. 

I was on the hunt for a small table lamp for the nursery as well as a second blind to match the one I bought the other day for "testing".  I'd already purchased and returned a set of curtains that I decided weren't what I was looking for and used the refund from those to buy a roman shade to try out instead.  There are two windows in the nursery, and I wasn't sure if I was gonna like the shade so I just got the one to try it out.  Since it worked out perfectly and looked really awesome, I figured I'd go get the second one. 

Of course, when the two of us head out together we usually end up getting at least one or two other items we hadn't planned on and make a lot of side trips between the errands we actually set out to do. 

Before heading out lamp and shade shopping, I wanted to pay a bill at the market.  But on the way to the market we had to detour to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. If your town has one of these, then you might know how easy it is to get sucked into rifling through all the stuff they have to find good bargains on things you didn't even know you needed. 

Per usual we managed to find something we couldn't live without.  We have a major kitchen remodel ahead of us (eventually) and have been buying things like flooring and tile for back splash for a while now.  Yesterday we found a lovely bunch of accent tiles to use on the back splash we have planned.  And at a hell of a bargain.

Once we were done buying the tile, we finally made it to the market.  At our local grocery store we can pay a large portion of our standard household bills at the service desk.  On occasion we end up standing in a line that is a half mile long (exaggeration of course) to pay our bills.  I try to get there during a time when there is little to no wait, but apparently everyone and their brother was out paying bills yesterday so we ended up waiting in line for a good while.  During that time hubby told me we could just mail it in, which of course we could.  But I told him we'd continue to wait since we were already there this time, but from now on we're sending them in via USPS. 

Once we escaped the market we decided to detour down to our old hometown to see the bridge that has been one of the scariest in the valley for quite a few years.  It is in mid-demolition, being taken apart piece by piece in preparation for its replacement.  After that we visited his brother for a short bit, since we were already down that way.  Then we made the decision to head out to "South Ridge" which is what we call a particular strip of highway littered with shopping centers.  The goal was to get lunch then run in and out of Lowe's to get the blind we needed and get gone. 

Food was easy peasy.  Lowe's... now that was another story. 

Apparently everyone decided to come out of the hollers yesterday and spend tax refund money.  I kid you not when I say that the traffic at the shopping center where Lowe's is located was horrid, to the point that it was way worse than it was at any point during the recent holiday shopping season including Black Friday.  I've not seen that many cars out there in ages.  It was AWFUL. 

We managed to get in to Lowe's and decided we might as well take our time and wander around looking at things instead of grab-n-go like we had hoped to do.  Not to mention they didn't even have the blind we went in for in stock anymore.  So we spent probably 45 minutes to an hour in the store, didn't get what we went for AND it seemed as if the traffic hadn't budged a bit while we were inside.

The traffic appeared to be in complete gridlock, with no one bothering to obey even the most basic of traffic laws. 

Stop sign? What stop sign?!

Lucky for us, hubby has some seriously creative driving skills and managed to get us out of there in 11 minutes. Whereas if we'd stuck with the traffic flow it could've taken us well over 30 to get out of that shopping plaza. 

Once we were out of there, we swung by a few more stores, finding the perfect lamp base at K-Mart and the perfect lamp shade at another Lowe's location where we also scored the blind we needed (with absolute ease I might add). 

We made it home and settled in and then decided it was finally time to tackle that crib.  It went better than I'd expected, but that's because hubby is like a parts whisperer.  He can look at just about anything and figure out how it goes together without instructions.  Once it was all put together, it was time to decide on a furniture arrangement for the room.  And I think we finally settled on a nice configuration after 30 minutes of moving things around trying different things out. 

Oh and I keep getting requests for pictures of the nursery from family and friends but I don't really want to post anything until I feel like the room is complete.  I've still got some finishing touches to add and once those are done I'll take and post pictures. 

In the meantime, I'm still trying to adjust to the reality that in a few weeks (3 according to hubby, 5 according to my estimated due date) there will be a warm, squirmy, soft little baby girl in that room... along with poopy diapers and spit-up stains and crying and tears (from all three of us I'm sure). 

Insane. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello