Rock-n-Roll

I tell ya, this week has been exciting. First the Ford pulling the semi out of the ditch, then the following day, a rock slide.

I had a route to run down in Paintsville, KY and headed down US-23 to get there. There was an off and on sprinkly rain pretty much all day that made for a soggy day. On my way home I came back up US-23 to get to I-64 and for some odd reason decided that instead of listening to the radio I'd turn on the CB.

Turns out it was a good thing because around 8 miles or so south of Lousia, KY the quiet CB went bezerk.

"Oh sh*t, Oh SH*T! Rocks in the road, south bound back 'er down, back 'er down!"

"Copy, whats the 20 on the rocks?"

"Oh sh*t, we're stopping, truck hit the rocks I'm gonna get out and see if driver is okay."

Just about this time I come upon the scene. It was dark and rainy but I could clearly see the jackknifed coal truck whose drivers side of the cab was up against no rock. No you can throw rocks. The sh*t he'd hit was as big if not bigger than his truck cab. BOULDER dude. Huge effin' boulder!

I grabbed the mic and started warning traffic about the slow down. After about a mile I pulled off at a truck stop and gave a few more shout outs about the location of the incident for all of the other coal trucks headed home while I looked for my cell phone. I dialed 9-1-1 and explained what I could and they thanked me for my call. I carried on and went home, but worried the whole trip about further slides and the safety of myself and others.

I was reading the news last night and it turns out there were three additional slides in other areas of KY that I drove through Monday. The super saturated ground just couldn't tolerate the rain on top of the snow melt off. But from what I read, the worst slide was the one I saw on US-23. They STILL have crews working to bust up the boulder to removable sized pieces. But the good news is that the coal truck driver didn't get injured and was just fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic