Changes

Last night upon my return to the shop at the end of my shift I found my boss and the outta town boss chillin' out smoking cigarettes outside the front bay. Some small talk ensued, then I showed them the items that I'd had the guys at Ryder fix on the truck. They were not nearly as excited about it as I was, but then they hadn't had to deal with the annoyance of the broken items on a daily basis like I did.

After feeling the disappointment at their apparent disinterest in me or my days' escapades, I went inside to do end of the day paperwork and such. I was nearly done when they both came into the small office where I was finishing up and began to banter more about various topics. One of which directly involved me and my future with the company.

I was informed that big changes are coming in individual drivers' routes. I was being assigned "C" routes which are primarily local routes (and coincidentally very physical routes with a large percent of tank pulls). I was upset a little by this information as I hate doing local routes because of the physical nature of many of the stops. Its hard for me to do the tank pulls because of my lack of strength.

I'll never be the first or the last to say that I can do anything and everything a man can do, because I know the reality is that it's just not true. And while I can and do perform tank pulls, one or two in a single day is pushing my physical limits. Some of these local "C" routes will have as many as 5 tank pulls, which honestly, will be dangerous for me to do. So yeah, not really thrilled.

I asked why I got the crappy routes and it was explained that it was because of my Sunday - Wednesday schedule. I then quickly asked if I could swap schedules. The only other option however is to work Wednesday - Saturday and I sure don't want to give up my Thursday - Saturday days off. So I'm stuck.

It's a little annoying to be limited to doing local routes. As I prefer the drive more than the actual work and have since day once always done my best to choose routes that take me out of town. Like yesterday I spent 5+ hours in the truck driving to and from a route location.

I guess it's the OTR trucker in me that prefers the longer drives and less actual work. Even though it generally means longer days. On a local route I could easily be home right at the end of a 10 hour shift. Which is fine and dandy but it's more physical work and less driving.

And yes, I'm whining. I don't want to be limited on the routes I get to run. I have found my primary means of tolerance for this job is in the variety and options and opportunity to do what I want to do for the day. Forcing me to do something that 1) I don't want to do and 2) that limits my daily activities is gonna really decrease my morale.

I hope this doesn't last long. And that if it does, I get a call from that other job I applied for. :o)

Comments

Feora's Fire said…
I think its hard for a woman to live in a mans world. Men are always offended. They make it harder on us in an attempt to prove that they are better. They cant stand it when they are whiny babies stumbeling around thinking they have it so hard. They cry about their food is to hot and their drink to cold, they dont wanna do anything, cause by god its going to break their bones and then a woman grows bigger balls then they have bitch wings and we do the job without crying..... They really hate that. Sorry, dont mean to offend anyone. There are a lot of good guys out there. But when a man treats a woman like shes beneath him while she does his job better then he does..... thats just sad, a man should be a man... not a baby.. A real man should never be affraid of a good strong woman.

I love strong women and we have to hold onto each other to servive a mans world.... To survive the ones that are big babies.....

You go!!
Ms. Crawford said…
I can't believe you do tanker, you are a strong woman alone for that I couldn't imagine adding more. So I was reading this out loud to Kendall and neither of us know excatly what a "tank pull" is and if you have already explained it I am sorry in advance.

I thought when I became OTR I would do everything a guy does and sure I had to while training, but it was so hard on me. Now I look to Kendall to handle that stuff and couldn't imagine doing it by myself again. Physically this stuff out here is rough on a woman, so I am so sorry you got the crap route :(

Just remember to "Twanda!" anything that pisses you off!
Anonymous said…
Ah just go back OTR you'll make more money than local and be much happier. Once the road is in your blood nothing will replace it.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic