*beep beep beep*

Watch out! I'm backing up ova here!

Whooooaaaa!

So this morning I had the pleasure of backing one of the company bulk trucks into the shop so we could fill it with liquid CO2.

I can drive. I can drive well. I am a trained professional. But this morning, you wouldn't have known it.

I swear to you it took me over 10 minutes to move the truck a mere 30 feet from outside the shop to inside the shop.

Trouble was mostly with my brain being stuck in "opposite" mode, which is excellent for backing up a vehicle with a trailer behind it. The trucks I'll be driving now are all straight trucks. Turn left to go left, not turn right to go left. UGH.

So this morning I climbed into the truck, adjusted the seat and then put the truck into reverse and started backing into the shop. I freaked out when I thought I was about to hit the office wall inside the shop.

I thought that the mirror was just out of adjustment and I wasn't seeing anything close to what I needed to be seeing. So after pulling back out to starting position, adjusting the mirrors, and taking a deep breath I tried again.

Turns out it was just me being a retard.

Once again as I backed in I thought I was about to hit the office wall. The way the shops' garage door is positioned is in close proximity with another building, which in my opinion is too close to our building, makes it impossible to just back straight into the shop.

So it takes a little creativity to get the truck exactly where you need it to be.

So yeah, I embarrassed myself, but still learned something for future attempts. ;o)

Of course my embarrassment wasn't even necessary because all I had to do was open the door on the other end of the shop, drive the truck around the building and pull straight through. DUH! haha

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, when I read that you would be driving a straight truck, first thought that crossed my mind was, "damn, her 18-wheeler skills are going to deteriorate fast," because as hard as learning to alley dock a 53' is, forgetting how is even easier haha.

Oh well, sounds like you were ready to make a change...

Good luck with the new gig :)
Jason S Harry said…
Well it sounds as if you are off to a good (but soggy) start! I laughed when I read you could have driven right through! If it had been me and anyone saw what I just went through, I would have just smiled and said, "I know, but I need the practice backing up!" You look awesome in your coveralls by the way! Looking forward to following your progress in your new career!
Anonymous said…
I left the big orange also recently, due to medical reasons. Doc's say it'll be at least a year or two before I can think about doing any type of work. It sure is boring here at home all the time in Poca, WV. Good luck with your new gig, hopefully I'll be dispatching somewhere close in a couple of years, alot of opportunities in Cross Lanes.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic