The Tweet Machine

I'm all atwitter. I love it. It's ALL of the awesome.

Since joining the Twitter (get over it I call it THE twitter) I've found a new lease on Internet life. I felt like FB was getting a little stale (and always overly dramatic) and my blog is often the subject of ridicule because of it's lameness (you know who you haters are). But the Twitter is all new (to me) and exciting and I'm really having a good time over there.

So follow me @truckerroxx

Seriously, follow me on the Twitter and I'll follow you back (but only if you tell me you found me via my blog). You can read my tweets, then point and laugh at me. And I'll do the same back at ya.

On a different level a la real life. Today was a long one. So was yesterday actually. I mean, 24 hours?! That's a bit much, right?

Yesterday I started off in Greenville, VA heading up the I-81 to my delivery point in Royersford, PA. Once I had taken care of that bit of business, I was set to pick up a short haul relay out of a drop yard in Fairless Hills, PA bound for Burlington, NJ. That was easy peasy. I picked up and delivered in under an hour. From there I grabbed an empty trailer and headed back over into Pennsylvania for a pick up in Southampton, PA.

It was set up to be a live load, but when I got there I found that they had already loaded a company trailer with the product I was picking up and all I had to do was drop my empty in a door and hook up to the loaded one. Of course, what would have normally been a fairly quick thing took longer than necessary because they were waiting for paper work for the load to be processed from a remote location and sent to the office there in Southampton. This wait alone ended up taking over 40 minutes.

My 14 hour clock was ticking away mercilessly with right at 3 hours left to work with when I had arrived at the facility. By the time I left the lot I had one hour and 15 minutes left on my day. I thought things from that point would be golden. I had planned on stopping for the night just across the Delaware/Maryland border in Elkton, MD. But no, that wasn't in the Universe's grand plan.

Instead I creeped along in retarded traffic for 45 minutes around the Philly area, on the bypass even, not through town, which probably would have actually been faster with my luck. But I managed to get just into Delaware to the welcome center and rest area with less than one minute left on my work day. As I was setting the brakes on Brucie the bitch in the box was telling me that I was "out of hours of service" to which I replied "nuh-uh, Jackie!" as I clicked the "off duty" button on the screen.

After wrapping up end-of-day things on the computer I headed into the service plaza for some food and other end-of-day activities. I crammed a giant burrito from Baja Fresh down my gullet while people watching, which is really one of my all time favorite things to do in crowded places. Then I freshened up and prepared myself for the night ahead (that's code for I took a tinkle and brushed my teeth).

Once back in my truck I talked to the hubby for a bit on the phone and then crashed out. I was quite exhausted having started my day with a 4 am wake-up and running myself clean out of hours for the day.

I ended up turning the alarm off after three snoozes and just let my body sleep until it was ready to get up. Which was around 5:45. I got up, did my morning business and hit the road. Again things went smoothly until about 15 miles north of Baltimore. Then it was creeper traffic for pretty much two hours.

What sucked about that the most was that at the beginning of the day I only had 9:15 left on my 70 hour work week clock. So I had to make the best use of that time to get as far as I could on this load bound for Albany, GA. And getting stuck in traffic as much as I did today certainly caused me to stress out a bit. My brain kept focusing on the goal I had set to make it to a truck stop in eastern SC for the night. I kept thinking that if traffic wasn't going to let up I wasn't going to make it.

But alas, I did make it and actually ended up going a little bit further than I'd planned. Once I was south of DC things went quite smoothly. I made a few rest stops at rest areas as I made my way south and still stayed ahead of schedule.

So tomorrow I have to get my ass out of bed early, shower and hit the road and make my "by 16:00" delivery in Albany. I'll likely have to shut down right after I drop since I'm eking by on hours until I gain some back tomorrow night. And even at that it's not gonna be much. For Thursday I'll probably only have around 7 hours on my 70 to work with.

Well I think that's about it for now. I'm getting the itch to knit.

Comments

The Daily Rant said…
I'm already following you on Twitter, and I do not think your blog is lame. But maybe that's me.

But...you've inspired me to Tweet. I can't get into it, can't imagine what I'd say, and don't know who would care.

But I spend every day making comments that are 140 characters long. My life is full of observing, ridiculing, commenting and just speaking to whoever happens to be in earshot (Ed). Now others can read my shit. LOL

Thanks!
Mark Krusen said…
Your blog is not lame. I've been lurking for a long time now. Your funny and your way of explaining your day is very entertaining. Keep it up.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello