A little update

Just been trucking, taking a few days off and back to trucking. Nothing too exciting to report. Unless you count sitting on the side of a mountain while a clean-up crew opens the road at the top of the mountain where a big truck lost its brakes and slammed into the cliff wall exciting. I didn't get to see the accident site, it was much farther up the mountain from where I got stopped, behind a LINE of big trucks waiting to pass.

I did, however, see what was left of the big truck as two separate wreckers brought both the tractor and the trailer down the mountain about an hour and forty minutes from the time I took my place in the line of trucks. And I did also see the mangled mountainside where the crash had actually occurred once I got moving.

It was a nasty accident apparently. They took the guy out in an ambulance and allegedly met with a life flight chopper to get him to the hospital stat.

The fellas in front of me, all milling about outside their trucks, talking and killing time, said that the few trucks at the head of the line had been stopped for nearly 6 hours. So I'm glad I got there when I did and only had to sit and wait for just under two hours.

The road is a rough one, especially for heavy trucks. If you do NOT creep along at least 5 miles below the posted speeds for the hairy turns, you'll end up like the poor victim of that accident. Those yellow warning signs are there for a reason.

I make this argument for the 50 MPH truck warning signs even on the interstate through Charleston, WV (my hometown). I see trucks barreling around those turns in excess of the posted 60 MPH speed limit and shake my head as I watch them fly through the turn. Then I thank the Universe for keeping the road open for me to take it nice and easy.

Because, it'll only take one time of them taking those turns just a little too fast to shift their load just enough to make them roll over. It has happened more times than I can count in my little bit of a lifetime. And it's never a pretty sight or an easy mess to clean up.

And all the "super truckers" who blow through there without paying heed to those warning signs that roll over just make me sick. And honestly, when they roll, they pretty much asked for it.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox for now.

I'm kinda tired and just wanted to do a quickie update. More later... I got stuff to talk about, just not tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic