Oh Deer...

Forget whack-a-mole.

I prefer to play whack-a-deer.

Yup, killed myself a deer this morning. Dumb buck.

I had two passengers who were neither bothered by or impressed with my deer killing skills.

I'd seen it coming, I knew it wasn't gonna get out of the road in time. I slowed down from 55 MPH to probably around 40 MPH by the time I made impact.

After the deer and the front of the bus met for the first and last time I found a safe place to pull off the road and inspect the bus for damage. All I found was a little blood splatter but otherwise, the bus was unharmed. I called my dispatcher to alert him to my plight. He asked me to verify that there was no damage and to get a "courtesy card" from the passengers just for the "record" of it. And then he told me to keep on route if all else was okay.

The two passengers I had filled out the cards I offered them, kindly. And I continued on my merry way. The passenger sitting closest to the front wanted to talk deer from that point on. And he commented at one point on how calm I was.

"What, you want me to freak out?"

"Well most women would, be spastic that is, but it's like it never even happened for you."

"It was just a deer. Nothing to get worked up over really. Now if it'd been another person..."

"Another person? hahah good thing I'm on the bus and not walking then huh?"

We laughed while the other passenger in the back was oblivious, lost in his iPod earbuds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up