Moulin Rouge

I seriously love this movie. I needed some background noise so I turned on my Wii and tuned in to Netflix and there it was, staring at me in my "recommended" list. So of course I figured why not.

I remember the first time I ever watched this movie. It was all the rage. Everyone said it was the musical of the year, maybe the century. My ex-husband and I had just PCS'd to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Texas and were staying in temporary housing. As we explored the base we found the movie rental section at the "shoppette" and decided to rent a couple movies. He picked one and I picked one, which was usually how we did it.

I can't honestly recall his choice, but I remember clearly deciding to rent Moulin Rouge. Of course we also had a thing where he would shuffle the movies behind his back, one in each hand and I'd pick "left" or "right" and that was the movie we'd watch first.

That evening Moulin Rouge was the first to be placed in the VHS player.

We sat there, eating snacks or dinner or whatever it was and attempting to digest the movie. It was wretched. We managed to stick it out for about 40 minutes before we made the decision to take it out of the VCR, put it back in the rental box and forget about it. We hated it.

I just didn't get it! How could everyone say it was the movie of the century?! It was awful!

Flash forward about 2 months. I was sitting in the computer room at the apartment we had rented, taking a break from either Dark Age of Camelot or The SIMS, the two games I was addicted to at the time, and decided to download some music on the internet illegally. I remembered that the musical numbers from Moulin Rouge were weird medley's of modern songs and thought, maybe I'll just download a couple of them for shits and giggles.

I ended up downloading two or three selections and listened to them, eventually singing along yet remembering how dreadful the movie was. Later on I found myself at this little record place where you could trade-in CD's you didn't want for credit towards CD's you did want. I was browsing the movie soundtrack section and saw the soundtrack for Moulin Rouge. It was only a few bucks for the used CD so I decided to pick it up.

I began to fall in love with the music from the movie, listening to it over and over again on my PC or in the car. I started to put it all together too, the songs and lyrics and the meaning behind it all. And around month 3 after my initial partial hated viewing I decided to go rent the movie again and give it another try.

It was then that my love of this film was truly born. And I've only grown more fond of it as the years have passed since. The songs, the story, the fabulousness of it all!

Comments

The Daily Rant said…
Hmmm...I might have to get the movie from this movie, because I saw it and also thought it sucked.

Not reguler sucked. It MONUMENTALLY SUCKED. I felt like I was on a LSD while I was watching it...and I don't even know what being on LSD is like, but I was wholly convinced it was like this movie.

I might have to give it another try someday, after listening to the music, of course. Because I totally get what you mean by how lyrics and the songs fit the scenes and the theme of the movie.

I might also have to give "Chariots of Fire" anothe shot also, because I felt the same way about that award-winning flick.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up