Quaaaaaaaake!

So yeah I apparently missed all the action while on my way to my surgeons office today. Thanks to the fabulous shocks on my Versa I didn't even feel the slightest tremor that occurred during the 5.8 earthquake that hit earlier. People all over the state and eastern seaboard, friends of mine even, felt it and were posting about it on Facebook. I felt left out.

While everyone else was freaking out over the minor earthquake I was busy dealing with medical crap. First I had to go to MedExpress to have my throat checked out. I was pretty sure I knew what was wrong but I needed confirmation and a doctor to write the scripts necessary to resolve the issue. It's kind of a gross one for me.

At first I thought maybe I was getting something like a strep or staph throat infection. Which would have been really bad especially having just had surgery. Any infection could potentially cause big problems. But after I did some research I wasn't certain that it was that kind of problem. Instead I was finding something else that while much easier to deal with and much less health risky, was probably way more gross.

I have thrush, aka Candida, a form of yeast infection of the mouth and throat. You can Google it if you want, but it'll probably just gross you out. Luckily I was vigilant enough to see it and seek treatment before it got out of hand. The PA I saw this morning said we got it just in time. It can get really bad and be REALLY gross... you'll see if you choose to Google it.

Mines NOT like that. It's a minor case compared to the atrocities I saw online. So for that I'm thankful. But it's still quite unfortunate. The medicines prescribed to remedy this ailment are simple, Diflucan which is taken in a single dose pill form and then Nystatin which is a liquid you swish and swallow 4 times a day for 10 days. I was afraid the Nystatin would taste really bad but actually it's got a sort of banana flavor which isn't entirely unpleasant.

I'm still annoyed at the fact that I have to deal with this but at least it's not as bad as it could be. For all the things that could have happened as a side effect or result of the surgery this is definitely one of the easiest to manage.

On a lighter less disgusting note...

Surgery has jump started my weight loss. The day before surgery I weighed in at 186 lbs. Today I weighed in at 179 lbs. yay.

My life post gallbladder is going to be difficult to traverse in terms of my dietary intake, however. I'm slowly getting back to eating solids but I'm finding that my body isn't fond of food just yet. I had a simple single egg on toast this morning and it did a number on my stomach. So even if I'm eating well I think my body will continue to drop pounds as it rejects various meals.

I talked to my dad about this yesterday when he called to check on me. He had his gallbladder removed a few years ago and has had a time readjusting diet wise. He said it took him a good year to learn what NOT to eat and then every day since then to learn how much he can eat of the things that don't seem disagreeable.

The gallbladder, while not a completely necessary organ, does play a major role in digestion while you have it. And when the body isn't equipped any longer with this organ, it's confused and angry and scared. It's not sure what to do without it and clearly over compensates in its confusion.

Dad, the doctors and the testimonials of countless others who have been through this type of surgery have given me hope that one day my body will readjust and smooth out a bit. But apparently, from what I'm hearing, at least the first year post-op is gonna be a bumpy ride.


The second medical thing I had to deal with was with the surgeons office today. The gal that takes care of billing and such had neglected her duties and still hadn't gotten my insurance approved nor had she bothered to return my short term disability form to my HR department at work. So I had to take some paperwork to the office so she could get off her bum and do her job. Otherwise I'm not getting paid for my time off AND my surgery isn't getting covered by the insurance. I love having to prompt people to do the jobs they're being paid to do.

Comments

Belledog said…
Heck of a way to lose weight, but sounds like you will be way healthier and even slimmer a year from now.

Good luck to you, Gigi. How helpful to have a father who's been there before.

Hope you have a good week leading up to Labor Day. This summer has flown.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic