Q & A #2

Some follow up questions from anonymous #1:

Have you been able to really (restfully) sleep, while at the same time stay enough on alert to sense when something is not quite right?

I do sleep soundly pretty much every night in my truck, no matter where I am or what sort of noises surround the truck. My "bat sense" kicks in when there is a sound that is cause for caution or alarm, such as someone touching the truck. I've actually had someone slip and catch themselves on my cab and it woke me from my sleep. I peeked out to see a very embarrassed older gentleman hanging onto my truck for dear life after slipping on ice. And of course, if you're a frequent reader of mine, you know how quickly I get awakened by lot lizards. haha

And does your employer allow you to bring a dog (whether or not you personally have chosen to do so?) (this question also answers Bijou's question, indirectly I suppose since I opted to use the words of anon instead)

My company, unfortunately, does not allow pets in company provided trucks. If I were an owner operator it would be no problem and I would certainly have a four-legged companion to keep me company and provide a source of protection out here on the road. At the time, it's just me and my stuffed friends and the voices in my head. ;o)

David M. asks:

I get the idea of auxiliary heaters that cut down on idle hours. Great for the winter--but what about the summer? Do they also operate the air conditioning? Or are you left to cross ventilation from the small berth windows?


Unfortunately for the summer months, we must suffer with just the cross ventilation of our sleeper berth windows. To my fortune, however, I have not only the little pop-out windows, but I also have upper windows that let in a lot more air flow, thanks to having what is considered a "condo" sleeper berth. These upper windows help immensely when the heat is on outside, although nothing is as nice and good old fashioned AC.

Also, in the summer months, 2nd and 3rd quarters of the year actually, the company has higher idling standards than in the 4th and 1st quarters (the winter months). This means I can stay cool during daylight hours without too much fuss about whether or not I'm going to make the cut off for bonuses based on idling.

Another great thing to have is screen inserts for the door windows. You can get a full or a partial insert that allows you to have your windows rolled down and still be protected from bugs and other pests. I personally don't use the screens I bought for overnight use because they do put me at higher risk for break-ins, but I use them a lot when sitting being loaded/unloaded for periods longer than 30 minutes.

Aaron the Truck Driver asks:

Do you ever travel to Portland, Oregon?

Sadly, I don't. At least I can't say as I have, yet. But you can rest easy knowing I'll be hitting you up for a cup of coffee shall I ever pass your way!

anonymous #3 asks:

What year is your Freightliner and when would you likely get moved up to a new / newer unit?


The chassis is a 2004, the engine is a 2005, retarded I know, but whatever. I didn't build it, I just drive it! I am fairly sure I won't be having to give up Trucky anytime soon, as the company seems to be keeping their trucks on the road, as long as they're running, well into and beyond the 800,000 mile range.

To date, Trucky has endured over 515,000 miles. When we started together he had just over 362,000 miles.... so we've traveled a good deal together.

As far as when I might have to part ways with Trucky... I don't even want to think about it. *sniffle*

Comments

Bijou said…
HI, it's me Bijou.

I just wanted to let you know that I've tagged you for the HONEST WEBLOG AWARD. If you choose to accept this "auspicious" award you can find out the details on my latest blog entry. This is for real, not something I just made up.

Fun huh?

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou
Anonymous said…
I did the math on your mileage, and compared it to my guess on how long you've been driving, and it looks like you're getting around 2125 miles per week, but since I don't know your vacation arrangements, it might be more? Anyway, thank you for having a blog! Out of curiousity, what makes a semi-truck male or female? You referred to Trucky as a "he" LOL!
Angela said…
Anon: I WISH! I guess the math does work out to reflect those sorts of miles, but in honesty, I have rarely seen more than 2K a week. And in recent months, it's worse than that.

*sniffs the air*

I sense a change coming... standby!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up