Q & A #1

"anonymous #1" asks:

1) Do you feel safe when you're sleeping in the rig?

When I got the keys and spent my first night alone in my truck I was nervous. I felt vulnerable. Alone. Afraid. I didn't know how easy it might be for someone to break in, and honestly still don't really know. I had visions of x-ray vision glasses and dangerous sex crazed thugs waiting anxiously for me to drift off to sleep so they could break in and violate me. Thankfully my paranoia subsided and I started taking some simple precautions and began to feel safer with each new night.

One tip I have for helping increase your "sense of security" is to loop your seat belt thru the door handles and fasten them. Now this does not prevent someone who really wants to get in from getting in, but it does at least provide a hindrance to a criminal, giving you critical time to arm yourself with something and to call 9-1-1. Generally, the criminal would need a knife and narrow, strong arms to really get in quick.

I tend to sleep with my little apple cutting knife close at hand just in case. But thankfully, so far, I've not had a need for self defense.

2) How long have you been with your company?
I have been with my company now for well over a year and a half.

3) Do you want to be an owner/op?
I have considered the option only very briefly. Right now, I just don't think that the economy (national or personal) is in a stable enough condition for me to take on that sort of financial risk. Plus, having other financial obligations (I'm a landlord on the side) that at a moments notice can turn into debt machines, I can't safely take the chance of one day having to decide between a mortgage or truck payment.

"june in florida" asks:

1) How do you feel about driving solo?
I love it! I have had a lot of time to get to know myself more intimately. I had never really taken any time to examine myself. And since beginning this crazy journey I've had plenty of time to contemplate life and my place in it. It's been an almost spiritual experience, one which I am thankful to be experiencing. ( I just re-read this answer and want to apologize if it sounds weirdly sexual.... but I don't want to change the original wording... so there)

2) Would you rather have a partner/driver?
Heck no. I love the fact that I can occupy every square inch of space of my truck without worrying about someone else feeling crowded and vice versa. I believe that taking along a friend from time to time would be nice, for company and all. But I can't imagine having to constantly live with someone in the truck.

One reason being I'm a loud person... while I'm driving I've got the radio cranked and I'm singing along at the top of my lungs. Another reason I think I'd be paranoid about someone else at the controls while I'm asleep in the bunk. I have a slight control issue when it comes to driving and that'd be one of the biggest barriers for me, I think. I might could get over it, but I'm not sure I wanna test the theory.

"anonymous #2" asks:

1) Hows freight these days?
Well I don't want to really get into that, because I've not been as busy as it seems. It's not dreadfully horrible, but it's not all sunshine and lollipops either. It's a tough market out here right now. I have to say that I'm just glad I've got a company providing me all of my work assignments and that I don't have to compete to get loads. Some market areas are worse than others right now, and of course I end up in those more often than not. But perhaps things will start to pick up and I will be on the road truckin' more than I am now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I understand your control issue with driving,i am worse and i am a terrible passenger.I drove a cab on Cape Cod and in Boston.
Anonymous said…
I'm the Anonymous from previous posts with the kids... lots of them, lol! I have camped alone several times, slept in my car while traveling cross-country quite a few times, and prefer to travel with my dog, but I have traveled completely alone as well. I guess my question about safety has more to do with the fact that when I camp in the car, I can pick a spot that is isolated, and thus I can sense changes in the environment pretty quickly. In picturing sleeping in a rig in a crowded truckstop, I envision the idea that, in order to actually get some sleep, I will have to blot out the background noise (which I can do fairly readily) while at the same time recognize "danger" noise that I might need to respond to. Have you been able to really (restfully) sleep, while at the same time stay enough on alert to sense when something is not quite right? And does your employer allow you to bring a dog (whether or not you personally have chosen to do so?) My dog is truly a god-send in the sense that he is REALLY loud when he senses danger. My dog actually helps me restfully sleep, because I know he will pick up on danger at least 5 minutes before I would... Like I said, I can travel without him, but I'd rather not. He came along with me on a solo trip of almost 2000 miles, and when I was in the backcountry of Texas, he was really good about letting me know (loud and clear!) that the spot I had chosen to park for the night was not a good spot!
David M. Howell said…
What a great opportunity--thanks for being so open. Though my question is really more innocuous than most you'll probably get. Okay, I get the idea of auxiliary heaters that cut down on idle hours. Great for the winter--but what about the summer? Do they also operate the air conditioning? Or are you left to cross ventilation from the small berth windows?

David

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up