Motivated Laziness

I've decided that the above named title is also my current state of being.  I really, truly want to get at least one thing accomplished off my to-do list everyday, but I find that sitting on the sofa watching TV is much more desirable than cleaning. (the final word of that sentence is spoken with absolute disgust)

But today, despite a few temporary setbacks, I did manage to get the vacuuming done... finally.

I started my morning with a big bowl of generic rice crispies, which to me taste more like the memory of the name brand version's flavor I have from my childhood before they took all the good stuff out of it in an attempt to make it "healthier" than the actual name brand has today, a tasty glass of chocolate milk, and a banana.  Then I moseyed up the stairs to the TV room where I plopped down to watch the Today Show as per usual.

I usually try to make it up for the last hour or so of Today.  And then of course I get sucked in to watching Kelly & Michael, mostly because I find Michael highly entertaining.  Kelly is kind of a nerd, and while I enjoy her as well, Michael just really makes the show worth watching since Regis left.  I always tell myself ten minutes from the top of the hour at the end of Kelly & Michael that I'm going to turn the TV off and do something productive, so as to avoid having to watch the train wreck that is Hoda and Kathy Lee.   It doesn't always work, but today I did manage to turn the TV off when Kelly & Michael went off, but I didn't make it into the land of productivity right away. 

I was about to step out of the TV room doorway to go get my vacuum when I decided I wanted to check out a few things online "real quick".  So I sat down in the computer chair and logged on to the trusty ol' desktop.  I sat there for a while before finally caving and getting back up and grabbing the Shark vacuum out of the nursery, where I last used it.  I plugged it into the sink side outlet in the bathroom and proceeded to sweep the floor in there.  Then I figured while I was at it I'd run it over the TV room floor and the bedroom floors as well. 

Once that was done I was feeling quite accomplished and suddenly hungry.  So I headed downstairs where I made myself a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches.  I sat at the table, which I rarely do, to eat my lunch. I decided it was safer to watch the fluffy little snow flakes fall and the birds dart in and out of the stand of bamboo through the window at the back of the house than to take the plate up to the sofa in the TV room where I typically eat.  I knew if I retreated back upstairs I'd have given my motivation the heave-ho and be done getting things accomplished for the day.

So after I was done eating I decided I should wash the few dishes that were in the sink and tidy up a bit.  Well that was all fine and dandy until I realized that the vacuum was still upstairs and if I wanted to finish doing the floors I'd have to go up there and get it.  So I ascended the stairs and looked at the Shark and then turned into the TV room where I found myself sitting once again at the desktop computer playing on Facebook, then YouTube.

I told myself I needed to let my lunch settle a little more before finishing the chore I'd set about for the day and allowed myself about 20 minutes more downtime.  Then I finally got off my rumpus and finished running the vacuum first down the stairs, one at a time, and then throughout the first floor rooms.  I feel better now, knowing that at least the visible surfaces of the floors are cleaner than they were. 

I don't bother moving things around right now because most of it is too cumbersome for my big pregnant a$$ to be messing with, so I kind of feel bad that not all of the floors got completely cleaned.  But they'll get done eventually.  I figure those sorts of cleaning days are coming when both hubby and I can be doing them together.  He can do the manly lifting and moving and I can do the sweeping and mopping.

So now, with that one thing finally scratched off of my to-do list for the week, I think I'll treat myself to a little (more) sofa time.  I have been watching Reno 911 on Netflix and I'd like to take in a few more episodes before it's time to hop in the shower to get ready for a date with the hubs to get some tasty wings tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up