Preparing the Essentials

I am anxiously anticipating the end of this week. The day that I know I will no longer have to wake up and drive the bus is going to be one of the best days I've had in months. That day is coming quickly. I will work tomorrow, then I'm off Wednesday, then two more days and I'm done.

On Wednesday I'll head down to the physical exam place to get my new DOT physical and submit to a drug test. This will be a slightly new experience for me because not only will I have to tinkle in a cup, they will also be taking a few of my lovely locks for testing as well. I've never had follicle testing.

I panicked last week and called the company medical team to tell them I was freaking out about the follicle test. I explained that I hadn't ever had one before and that I went and "Googled" it to get some information about how its done and how much hair they will be taking and such. It was upon reading the information online about it that I began to panic. There was a list of the types of drugs detectable in the test that included opiates which covers multiple drugs including Morphine.

I had forgotten to mention before that I had recently been in the ER for the business that turned out to be a severe sinus infection. I explained that during the course of my stay I received IV morphine along with a host of other medications I was now fearing may cause me to fail my test.

The lady assured me it wouldn't be a problem and that should I come back with a positive test all I would have to do is explain what I just explained to her on the phone. She claims to have documented it all on my "file" and then suggested I mention it to the laboratory folks who collect my samples.

The last thing I need is to lose this job before I even get to start it because of my asshat sinuses.

After getting that phone call out of the way I felt a lot better about it. I am sure there is still a chance that I will have to re-explain it all to someone down the line. But I feel confident now that it won't be a problem.

Last night I got online and reserved my rental car for my trip to Indy. The company is willing to send me out via Greyhound but I'm not really hip to that idea. I'm trying to avoid buses like the plague, which is why I'm changing jobs... DUH!

Sadly they won't pay for alternative transportation so I'm paying for the rental myself. However... they say that they will reimburse for "expenses" if you drive yourself which I presume will just include gas. Which is fine. I don't care either way, it's not that far to Indy and I don't' expect to use more than $100 in gas out and back and in between. I'm willing to take the hit myself if they decide not to pay for the gas, just so I don't have to ride the bus or rely on anyone else while in Indy.

I've really gotta get on the ball with getting some stuff organized and ready for my next big adventure. My trucking essentials are spread all over the house, in the garage and such. I need to get them all in one spot. I figure that's what I'll spend most of next week doing. But I may start a pile as I come across items I want to have with me.

I want to try to downsize from the amount of stuff I had with me before, too. Only the essentials I keep telling myself when I start thinking of what to bring. I remember having totes full of shit I never ever used or touched, but had "just in case", last time around. Sure I'll need some of those items, like severe weather gear and survival food/supplies. But there were a LOT of things I didn't need then and surely won't need now.

Some of the essentials I know I will need are:

CB Radio
XM Radio w/booster antenna
Atlas & Truck Stop Guide
12v Phone Charger
Small 100w inverter
Laptop w/charger
Bedding & Pillows
All weather clothes/shoes/coats
Tool box
Locks (king pin and pad)
12v Cooler & 12v Cooker
Food/Water
Paper towels
Wet Ones hand wipes
Notebook(s)
Pens/pencils
Hygiene items (including flip-flops)
Winter weather items (small shovel, ice melt, ice scraper)

I'm sure there are many other things I could add to that list, but to me that pretty well covers what I consider the essentials. And all of that will also be enough to fill up the truck of a car and maybe part of the back seat.

The biggest thing I need to have with me is a positive attitude. I'm working on that, hard. I have allowed the bus driving job to nearly kill any optimism I ever had. I'm holding onto it by the skin of my teeth. But I've found the rod and have begun reel it back in. I figure that once I take off that awful uniform for the last time the majority of the fight will be over and I'll be on my way back to normal again.

I miss me.

Comments

Truckingtiger said…
A few things, GiGi...as far as gas, they paid my gas and hotel when I drove up from Atlanta to Carlisle to pick up my truck. Not sure if its the same for orientation.

Are you going to keep this blog going or are you going back to the old one for the trucking?
Angela said…
I know they will be paying my hotel stay while in Indy. Continental breakfast at the hotel and hot lunch at the OC.

As far as the blog. This technically is my original blog, I've just changed the overall design and title. I'm keeping it this way, but I will be blogging about my adventures all the same. :o)
Belledog said…
Gi-Gi: am so excited for you! And laughed about your not even wanting to ride a bus to Indy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up