The 401st - Happy New Year

So the weekend of saying goodbye to 2011 and hello to 2012 was a rough one for me. I worked an early shift on New Years Eve was home before 9am with the info that I was done for the day... and thus for the year. I was so ecstatic that I took a nap. Only to have that nap interrupted by dispatch calling to ask me to come in and work another shift that afternoon.

"It's an emergency we really need someone..." blah blah blah. In the stupidity that comes from being mid-snooze I said okay. Big mistake.

I'd been feeling ill for a few days. Horrid headache, mild fever, intestinal distress. I shouldn't have said yes. I had every right not to say yes... but I said it before I realized what I'd done.

I tried to finish my nap only to be aggravated by the fact that it was kind too late to call back and say "no thanks". So instead I got up, hopped in the shower and tried to rejuvenate myself enough to get motivated for the 4 hour and 15 minute shift I'd agreed to do.

The shift was wretched. Super busy and with traffic, super behind schedule. When you're as far behind schedule as I ended up being people get pissy. Add in that everyone just wants to get home so they can prepare to celebrate the end of the year with family, friends and bottles of booze... and well... they get REALLY PISSY.

The evening was wretched. My headache went from horrid to raging... I felt my fever spike and break at least twice during the shift. My patience and my courtesy wore thinner and thinner as each minute passed. By the end of the shift, I was a disaster.

I was supposed to attend the annual New Years' Bash party our friends put on, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I sent a message to the hubby telling him I wasn't coming. I got a few texts from folks at the party begging me to come. But instead, when I got home I ate a quick bite, took some Tylenol and was in bed and passed out by 9 o'clock.

I woke up around 5 o'clock on the morning of the first day of 2011 in absolute agony. My headache had went from raging to disabling. I got up, took more Tylenol and laid back down. Around 8 or so I woke back up, searing pain from my shoulders to the top of my head. I figured I'd try to eat a little so I went downstairs and made myself some Ramen noodles and an instant breakfast shake.

Consumption complete, I found myself craving the dark comfort of my bed once more. I spent most of the day in bed. My husband returned from our friends house just before 5pm. I was thankful he stayed away and let me rest. He tends to create lots of noise and I just didn't want to hear any of it.

I did manage to get out of bed and eat again after he'd returned home. We even made it through another installment of the Harry Potter movie series. But by the time the sun had set my headache had increased even more. The pain was becoming completely unbearable. I took yet more Tylenol and went to be before 9 o'clock once again.

I awoke early this morning, around 3:30 or so I realized there was no way in hell I could work in this condition. So I called the dispatcher and marked up sick for the day. I then decided it was a good idea to go to the ER.

A basic rule of thumb with a headache lasting longer than 48 hours should be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible. So off to the ER we went. I haven't actually had a genuine migraine headache since high school. Maybe once in college but definitely not since 2000. So this little headache that had grown in my noggin since Friday was frightening. I wasn't sure what was going on and hoped the doctors had some answers.

After some blood work and a CT scan of my nugget the doctors determined that not only was I having a migraine headache but I also had a case of acute sinusitis. I hadn't even a clue that I had anything wrong with my sinuses since I didn't have any sinus symptoms. But after a lot of creative IV medication concoctions and a few scripts for home pain meds and an antibiotic I was relieved of my IV shunt and released to go home.

Kinda not the way to bring in a new year, but if the theory of March can be interpreted into the theory of an entire year, 2012 came in like a lion and shall thus go out like a lamb for me. *fingers crossed*

Comments

Truckingtiger said…
Here is to hoping you get better real soon! Your job is killing you, GiGi. You need to come back out with the Pumpkin and do what you LOVE to do!
Angela said…
My job is killing me. But Pumpkin Patch isn't the answer. I'm considering a move in a completely new direction, I just have to hang in there for a little while longer before I can make a move.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up