Poo Poo Kenny....

Sorry about the last blog post, incomplete as it was. I was gonna deleted it until I received a comment on it and figured I'd keep it around after adding my own clever comment in response. Dumb iPhone.

Anywho. So things have been frustrating since I came back outta the house after my last home time. Not having my dearest along with me this time means I have to actually take the time to clean my windows and mirrors at fuel stops, entertain myself while waiting around, and the like. It's much better with company than without, that's for sure. But honestly... I'm kinda glad he stayed home this time because my truck smells much better with only my farts to deal with! hahaha

Since coming out of the house I have had a few annoying moments. I was sent from home to Rochester, PA with a load of scrap metals. Delivery was the real kicker on that load as when I arrived at the place I just followed the signs that led me to the scale yard for check in. It was only after entering the scale yard that I saw the first sign indicating which CB channel the guard shack monitored when I realized it was gonna be a long day. I was being yelled at from one driver after another for "jumping line". I had no idea...I just followed the signs. And the signs said all trucks check in at scale yard. So I tried to ignore the a-holes the best I could... for all they knew I didn't have a radio to be hearing them.

When it was finally my turn in the long line of trucks inside the scale yard to check in, I exited the truck cab and was walking towards the only door on the scale house building... when all of a sudden burly a-hole #1 got out of his truck behind me and started screaming at me for being "an idiotic little girl who can't follow directions". I started getting really angry and of course when I get really angry, I cry.

After the tears started to well up in my eyes I saw that he was not only yelling but barging towards me like a steam roller.... yelling and pointing and scaring the hell out of me. He finally started making sense as I heard him say, "not the damn door stupid, the window around front". So I threw up my hands in surrender and said, "geeze man I've never been here before gimme a friggin' break, ok" and turned around and headed for the window.

I was pretty well wet faced by the time I got to the window, some 50 paces away and the lady at the window took sympathy. She explained that folks that come there regularly know that you go over and park under some bridge and radio in to get "in line" for scaling, but that they didn't understand that van's such as I drive (they are all covered wagons and such) weren't in on that fact since we are a rare visitor to the location. She tossed me a tissue and told me not to fret.

Once I was checked in I did have to go over to park under the bridge because the van ahead of me was having trouble getting docked.... bad sign. After about 20 minutes or so she called for me over the radio to go back to the unloading dock. It was tricky to maneuver in the tight quarters where the dock was located, but as long as you followed the orders of the guy who walked the path you were supposed to drive, it was no trouble at all. I assume the previous driver didn't follow directions very well.

After unloading I had to go back and scale out, this time I didn't get yelled at because I was one of only two trucks waiting... thank goodness.

The next load took me back down the road a piece to an industrial park in a town called Leetsdale where I was to pick up a load of pallets. Of course somehow the appointment time I was sent was wrong and I was considered "late" and made to park and wait until they could work me in. While waiting another company driver arrived with the same scenario and so we made idle conversation while we waited. Turned out we were both going to the same place to deliver.

And it also turned out that we would also have similar follow up work assignments. We ended up delivering and then bob tailing to a truck stop for the night where we hung out chatting and eating for a while before turning in. The following morning we traveled together to get our empty trailers in York, PA, then over to a town called Lititz just north of Lancaster, PA to get loaded.

We ended up splitting up when I had to stop for fuel en route to Edison, NJ. He got there a half hour sooner than I did. We said our "toodle-loo's" as he was leaving and I was arriving at the shipper in Edison.

While fueling before my arrival there I'd noticed one of my steer tires was looking low on air so I checked it and sure enough it needed nearly 30 psi. When I got to Edison, I noticed again that the tire was low and called our emergency maintenance crew to tell them and see what they thought. They ended up dispatching a roadside guy to come replace the tire. So even after I delivered, I ended up sitting there for nearly 2 hours waiting for service.

Fixed and ready to roll I headed east into a small town called Keasbey, NJ to get my next load. This place was fun thanks to the folks who barely spoke English and therefore confused the heck out of me. But once I'd grabbed my preloaded trailer I was ready to rock and roll over to Carlisle to our company terminal.

I'd been trying to get a PM (preventative maintenance) on the truck for a couple of weeks with no luck. Either the wait was too great at the terminal I'd get routed to or I'd get yanked off a load that was gonna take me thru a terminal where I had called ahead and scheduled the PM.

So finally it was going to happen. Which was great because my truck had been running like crap and the longer it went the more problems kept popping up. The worst of which was something that was causing my truck to lose power under load, choke out thick smoke and make icky grindy noises under the hood. I suspected the turbo, but not being a mechanic I wasn't sure that was even close.

Once I was checked in at the terminal shop with my long list of things that needed fixed or checked I grabbed some things and headed over to the hotel for a night of R & R, St. Paddy's style. The next morning I arrived back at the terminal and found that my truck was still not ready to roll. I hung around watching movies in the day room most of the day, enjoying films I'd not seen before like "Man of the House" with Tommy Lee Jones (excellent by the way) and "I, Robot" with Will Smith (whom I cannot stand but actually found that I enjoyed the film anyway). I also managed to finally watch "The Transporter" (the first one) all the way through. And fall in lust all over again with Jason Statham.

Finally around nine thirty pm the shop called and said that Kenny was all fixed up and ready to roll. Unfortunately I wasn't, since I was exhausted from all that sitting around watching movies so when I got to the truck, I simply went to sleep.

Then comes yesterday morning. I finally hit the road again this time bound for Gary, IN where the load I was toting was to be relayed. I guess I should say that it was where the load did get relayed, since I did make it here, but not without trouble.

One of the main things I needed repaired during Kenny's stay at the Carlisle terminals shop was the loss of power, smoking, nasty noise issue. It was a problem that had been gradually getting worse since just before my time off and one that didn't seem to be getting any better. Yes, the new windshield was nice, the serviced and finally working A/C also nice, even the new tires I got without asking was nice. But this one issue was major and majorly affecting my working ability and needed to be addressed.

But guess what?

Yep... you got it... didn't even touch it. Didn't bother, didn't fix it. As I got on the road from Carlisle things seemed fine. Then came the first little hillock to give me trouble, some 50 miles into the trip. It didn't take long for me to realize that the problem had not been resolved. The problem was resolving itself after a couple of moments of sputtering and coughing, never giving me too much grief, as it had been before the PM.

As I crested hills the engine would smooth out, the smoking would stop and the power would return to the engine at full steam. So what's a girl to do but keep going, it was merely a minor inconvenience really... just one that seemed to get more and more frequent as the miles ticked across the odometer.

Finally the worst happened with I got to the Ohio Turnpike. A relatively flat road, rises amounting to mostly just gently rolling hills, I didn't expect to have too much trouble. Little did I know that Kenny had other things in mind. Oh yeah, boy did he ever.

After about 30 miles or so I found myself with a more noticeable loss of power, the transmission shifting down into 7th gear, white-ish gray smoke billowing out of the exhaust stack, gawd awful noises coming from the engine. In previous instances, this sort of thing only happened down to 8th or 9th gear and smoothed out after a mile or so. This time however, I was forced onto the shoulder, hazard lights flashing, for nearly 15 miles. I could have stopped, maybe should have, but I kept hoping with all my available hope that it would clear up any minute. Closing in on that 15th mile it did finally clear up and didn't act up again until I was exiting the turnpike at the state line where I was going to be spending the night.

This morning I got up, got ready to start my day and crossed my fingers tightly. Just hoping to make it to Gary. The last bit of travel was going to take me across the state of Indiana primarily using US-20, a nice scenic route right through Indiana Amish Country. I was so afraid of breaking down on the shoulder and/or being passed up by horse and carriage! Just embarrassing. Things got off on a bad foot, but smoothed out after about 5 miles. I had little trouble the rest of the 140 miles, thankfully. I only had an issue once I finally arrived at the Gary terminal when I had to go check in my trailer at the front desk and had parked at the fuel island to do so. When I got back into my truck and started it so that I could drive to the loaded trailer drop section of the terminal it took a few minutes to get going. UGH!

But finally I managed to get the trailer dropped, get checked in at the shop and learn that I was going to be stuck in Gary until at least Tuesday morning. Typically when a driver is going to be down that long the company will urge them to take what they call a "loaner" truck. Being that I now drive an automatic, which is in very short supply, I don't expect to get a loaner, ever. Today was no exception. The company won't put me into a manual truck since it's now been over 6 months that I've been in the automatic, I guess in fear that I'll destroy a manual transmission or something. So whatever....

So here I sit, bored out of my skull in Gary, IN for a few days, making about a third of what I could be making if I were out there rolling miles. I guess it will give me time to get some reading done, since I'm so far behind on my goal towards 50 books for the 2010 calendar year!

Comments

Jason S Harry said…
I've been in similar predicaments when going to a new place for the first time as I'm sure lots of us drivers can relate to. I've found the trick to dealing with red-faced ignorant and otherwise flat out mean people is to throw them off balance. For instance, when somebody comes yelling and screaming in my direction I may say something like "I'm sorry, I'm not really a truck driver but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last Night!" Things like that can scramble their brains (and may even make them smile) and defuse the situation. Give it a try next time!

By the way, I just added my "moronic moments" story that we chatted about yesterday so check it out when you get a chance, you'll never look at your Comdata card the same way, ha ha!

Hope they get Kenny fixed up and healthy once and for all!
John I said…
That was pretty funny Jason I used to do the same thing as a police officer I'd go in on a domestic disturbance and start straightening pictures or dusting and pretty soon there would be dead silence. How ever most people don't come rolling up shouting at me when I roll out of the truck at 6'2" and around 260 Years of flatbeding will keep you pretty fit. But those donuts from the cop days got me a little. That was a digression You may or may not remember but I work inside as an otr manager used to work for big orange inside and drove O/O for them later on. Well we took some old trailers to the scrap yard and the same thing first went under a 13'4" bridge turned in at the sign but that was wrong go over the river and thru the woods to get there and get in line I had no radio thankfully. Not only that there were 6 of us and man did we screw the place up no one could get in or out for a few minutes we did get to cut the line and it was just a bunch of four wheelers anyway karma coming around for them LOL.Anyway looks like I am coming back on the road soon details to follow. It really is better out there with your sig other
David M. Howell said…
Wait, I thought when you signed on to Kenny, you could switch back to manual...not so? Just curious.
Angela said…
David, that was the agreement with me previous manager. When I came back from my week vacation just after New Years, I got the "you've got a new manager" message. Apparently, that "agreement" is now null and void. I'm a little miffed about that... and have thought about fighting for it. But why... before long Kenny will be like new and running like a gem. Ya know, like with Trucky.... oh wait... when Truck was like new and running great they took him away from me... poo.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic