Like Butter...

Kenny is running great... smooth, sweet... like butter. (knock on wood)

I'm currently on my way to a delivery in Savannah, GA. Aside from strong winds and heavy rain along the way yesterday in Illinois and Kentucky, the drive from Minnesota where I picked up as been quite uneventful. Yesterday was a breeze, aside from the breezes and I made it a lot further than I'd anticipated, which is always good. Today, however, thanks to traffic tie-ups in the ATL I didn't get as far as I'd hoped I would. I could have kept going, but I wanted to be shut down before the sun went to sleep. So I landed for the night and settled in. I've still got another 3 hours left on the trip for tomorrow morning. Which is fine... I need to save some hours anyway. If I keep running 10-12 hour days I'll run out of hours before I know it.

And I'd rather not do that since I still have another 12 days before I'm due for some time off.

So I'll take it easy for a day or two. Tomorrow morning I'll drop my current load then head across town to pick up another load which I will drop and stage at the same place I will drop the first one. After that, I'll probably get another dispatch to pick up. I would be happy to stage a few loads if that's what they want me to do in Savannah tomorrow. Short runs like that pay a little more for all of the short hauls and that can add up quickly if done correctly.

Almost as good as a good old fashioned "trailer search" which can pay out pretty well for a few hours worth of driving around looking for an empty trailer. Once I had to do that down in the ATL area. Every place they sent me for an empty was bogus, either they didn't have any or they wouldn't release the ones they had. So after 4 stops in the ATL an no empty behind me, I was dispatched to bobtail to some place in Tennessee some 4 hours away to get one, then dead head back to ATL to get it loaded... retarded but it sure was a nice paycheck!

I'm sure I won't be that lucky again for a while.

I'm just happy to be getting some decent miles right now. Freight is picking up it seems, so I can keep rolling pretty good. Which makes me happy on Friday's when money magically appears in my bank account. Payday rules.

Comments

Ms. Crawford said…
Hey! I love reading your blog, your adventures and misadventures. They are all good advice really. I think it is great to get your perspective as a solo woman driver. I think you rock! Your blog usually leaves me with lots to think about :)

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic