And Butter Melts Down

Just when things were going well I had to go and have a bad day yesterday! I think that's par for the course for everyone these days, and yesterday seemed to be no exception for myself and others. Since I wasn't the only one having a bad day, I at took comfort in knowing I wasn't alone. For all of you who suffered in some fashion yesterday, it's over now. Breath easier today, like me. *ahhh*

Now that's better.

My problems yesterday were close to 100% my own fault, of course it took fresh rested and relaxed eyes to really see that this morning as I reflected upon the events that led to my meltdown yesterday. Had I done this instead of that or that instead of this, things would have went in a completely different direction. But alas, hindsight just means you can see that you were an ass too little too late. Right?

Not that I WAS an ass, really but I could've done a few things differently and produced a more positive result. But then I'd not have something to blog about today, had yesterday not happened the way it had.

I learned a few lessons yesterday. The number one lesson I learned is to put my foot down. Never again will I put myself into a position where I know I will end up violating hours of service. For no one, no reason, no how... no way.

Number two lesson is to never expect a dispatcher/driver manager to understand that what they see on their computer screen is NOT reality. They will NEVER get it and I can't expect them to. So when I feel like beating it into their heads, I will just bite my lip and refer to lesson number one.

The third lesson life taught me yesterday is that starting a run that is only 43 miles in Chicago at 5:15 in the afternoon will take you at least an hour and 15 minutes, on a good day. Yesterday was a good day, but it still put me over my 14 hour work day and thus put me into a position of violating hours of service rules, jeopardizing my job.

So here's what happened:

I knew going into the load that it wasn't gonna go well. I was dispatched around 13:15* as I sat eating my tasty lasagna lunch treat at our Gary terminal. By the time the load macros came through the Qualcomm, I requested directions macros, got hooked up to an empty trailer, worked up a quick trip plan and exited the gate of the terminal it was 13:45. Pick up was 68 miles from Gary in a town called Waukegan, IL which is on I-94 north of Chicago. I arrived at 15:05, five minutes late for my appointment.

However, when I arrived at the shipper it didn't matter that I was late, as there were two other company trucks still waiting to be loaded ahead of me. I settled in and sent in a couple macros explaining that I was going to be delayed in getting loaded and that I would likely run over my 14 hours to get the load to its destination at one of our satellite terminals 43 miles away in Chicago.

Fast forward a little, I'm docked and loaded and ready to roll out. It's 17:15 when I pull out of the shippers' parking lot. Fast forward a little more, I'm pulling into the satellite terminal at 18:30 and being followed to the trailer parking area by another driver who had been waiting for the load to arrive.

My 14 hour day began at 4:00 am and ended at 18:00, so I was 30 minutes in violation of the hours of service rule. I made the proper notation on my log for the day and then sent in another macro to tell the company that I had run over my hours and why.

Of course, a little back story to bring it all together... I had woke up at 3:45 am to get prepped for my day. I left Gary terminal at 4:30 to deliver a load over in DeKalb, IL. I arrived there at 6:00 dropped, hooked up to an empty and trip planned my next load which had came across the Qualcomm while I was en route to DeKalb. Depart 7:15.

I then traveled west a little further to Rochelle, IL where I was to pick up my next assignment. The facility opened at 8:00 and I was docked by 8:30. Loaded, signed, sealed and ready to deliver... I departed at 10:00. The load was going to be relayed at the Gary terminal.

Arrived at Gary just after noon, dropped and parked, logging off duty as of 12:30. At this point I sent in a macro to tell the powers that be that I had 5.5 hours left on my 14 hour day and only 5 left to drive on my 70 hour work week. (I'm sorry if this is confusing for non-truckers)

I had mistakenly assumed I'd not get another work assignment for the day and so I went into the terminal and purchased lunch. Lucky for me I'd chosen to eat in it my truck for some privacy, since it ended up being mid meal that I began getting my next dispatch.

Enter trouble.

As the messages came through I began writing all of the information down on my handy dandy notebook and started to realize that afternoon driving through Chicago's loop, TWICE was not going to be likely with only 5.5 hours left on my day (MINUS loading time at the shipper) and so I called in to express my concerns.

I explained my theory and was not "understood" and instead of trying to fight about it with someone, I just did what I was told. Which was where the previously mentioned lessons began. I KNEW it wasn't gonna happen the way they predicted. I have driven enough in this region to know the typical traffic patterns to know that traffic was gonna be a beast, especially on my second pass through the loop after being loaded. I knew that even with the best possible conditions that it was going to be tooooo close for comfort.

But I didn't push it. I didn't put my foot down. I just lowered my head and did what I get paid to do. Knowing full well I was going to have close to a 95% chance of being in violation of the hours of service, as I ended up being.

I kick myself for this today, but yesterday I was beating up everyone else for the stress the situation caused me.

Had I been pulled over for any reason yesterday on my way to the satellite terminal after being loaded I would have quickly been found to be in violation of the hours of service and ticketed and shut down and possibly fired. It would NOT have been worth it.
Please, if you take anything away from this tale, make it this... never let someone talk, guilt, push, coerce, etc. you into doing something you don't feel comfortable doing. If you think it's gonna end up being illegal, just say no.


I learned my lessons... thankfully not the hard way. Yes, it was frustrating. Yes it was risky. But it could have been MUCH worse.

* All times listed are eastern time zone, but all acts were performed in central time. I have to log in eastern time so it's just easier to explain that way. Thanks for understanding. =)

Comments

Anonymous said…
SCNN needs to stop using otr drivers as local jockeys every time they enter the windy city area anyway. Had you working on load 3 for the day & all in a 100 mile raidus. Hope your day goes better tomorrow.
Sam Huss said…
I always told them 1 hours less than I really had. Just for that exact reason! They will no doubt leave you hung out with no hours left doing some stupid local run!
The Daily Rant said…
The central time thing I get (we log in Central time) and understand that you log in Eastern. And I get everything you were saying. And I totally know what you mean about doing ANYTHING in Chicago around the time people get off work. And I hope you put your foot down next time and tell them to go scratch.

The thing I can't follow is that damn military time. Confuses me every time. (even though I KNOW it, I hate it)
Angela said…
Salena, military time made my head hurt for the longest time. Then I taught myself a little trick, that most find even more confusing, but it makes sense in my brain so it works. I was always told take military time and subtract 12 to get laymans time. Like 21:30 would be 9:30 (21.5 - 12 = 9.5) But that's a lot of numbers with double digits, so I just take the hour digit (which in this case would be the 1 in 21:30) and subtract two (which is the second digit of 12, obvi)

So when I look at my celphone right now and see that it says 18:28, I say oh... 8 minus two is 6, so it's 6:28!

Commence confusion... lmfao!
Anonymous said…
Good for you. If everyone followed your advice to "Just say no". Drivers would save themselves lots of trouble. HOS rules are a slippery slope once you don't give them the respect they deserve.
Good for you!!!
Anonymous said…
You have been faced with one of the three choices that all of us drivers get faced with. 1 - Be late, 2 - Run illegal, 3 - Don't do it. I have worked for 3 different trucking companies as a driver in one of their trucks and after having had to find another job 3 times, I know that the companies look at your tickets, accidents and lastly your DAC report. If you don't have tickets and accidents, but have a ding on your DAC, you can find a good job ANYWHERE, but if you have tickets and accidents, forget it. Trucking companies are a dime a dozen. Cover your tail and don't let some pencil pusher hurt YOUR career so THEY can get a pat on the back. If it were me I would record the phone calls and let them know that I was doing that, I would get the supervisor on the phone and tell them that "I don't have any tickets or accidents and I can find a job anywhere so don't expect me to ruin my career for one load". But that is just me. If you want to "play along" with their games, you could just breakdown alot. Corroded wires and broken electrical connections and the like, that way you aren't pissing on anyone in the office, but you legally can't move and you will still be in compliance. Hehe
-Ed

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic