Trucky is feeling better.

I got the call just before noon from the shop to tell me my truck was done. I packed up my crap at the hotel and headed back to the terminal to check it all out and get ready to start a working day. I arrive to find my truck is in fact back out on the main lot where the rest of the "healthy" trucks park.

I got in, released the brake long enough to let the truck roll back a little from a railing and then set the brake and got out. I unlatched the hood and opened Trucky up to see what had been done. A couple of hoses going here and there to and from the turbo were replaced, and I noticed that I had a new fuel/water separator.

Mostly satisfied, I headed over to the actual shop to have the shop manager sign off on my log book entries where I noted the things wrong with Trucky. I also had them tell me exactly what was done.

Turns out they replaced not only the hoses and fuel/water separator, but they also replaced an EGR valve and some other valve that is called a delta-something-or-other. I wish I could remember what it was called, but alas... I didn't pay that close of attention. ha!

I took Trucky for a quick spin around the terminal yard and he seemed to be running pretty good. No more black smoke was rolling out of the exhaust pipe and the horrible whining noise wasn't to be heard under the hood. So as far as I can tell... we're healthy again.

I called in and updated my availability with my management team and then called my dispatcher to see what he might have available for me in the area. Turns out... there wasn't anything that would get me going towards home. At least... not yet.

There was a load in the system showing to be on it's way to the terminal to be relayed. It was picked up by a driver in the great state of Oregon. And it's headed to a little town less than 20 minutes from my house. And... and delivers Thursday.

Things are finally looking up!

So I'll hook up to the load tomorrow and head home. I can stay at home tomorrow night and then deliver the next morning and go back home after I'm done. I'm stoked.

yay!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You picked one of the good shops to have "Trucky" healed in. Had mine in the Gary shop for THREE days and they didn't do a dang thing. Thankfully, I have a backhaul in Green Bay and can have the grown-ups work on it. I really miss the Evergreen OC - they had the BEST shop in the SNI system.
Unknown said…
I was betting that the egr valve was at least part of the problem. I was getting way too familiar with the symptoms by the third time. The first time it happened it started just north of Laredo and I had almost 700 miles of drivers hollering at me that my turbo was going out--what fun :-(
Even had a few that were downright angry when I tried to nicely explain that it wasn't. To this day I'm still not sure why they were taking it so personally.
Angela said…
Yeah, Gab everyone's gotta have their two cents heard over those darn radios. And everyone else is an expert and know-it-all don'tcha know!?

I heard so many people on the CB telling me "hey there SNI, you know your putting out a ton of black smoke" ... Thanks, Captain Obvious.

LOL

Seriously... After about 15 people I finally just shut the radio off and kept moving.
Angela said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
LOL!!!!!!!

I tried shutting the radio off after a while but ended up having to turn it back on after almost getting sideswiped a few times by drivers trying to get my attention. Nothing will keep you alert like having to share your lane with another big truck! It was just easier to say "Yes, I know I'm blowing out black smoke. No, it's not the turbo, thanks anyway." I was starting to sound like a recording before I got back to Little Rock.
The Daily Rant said…
Glad to hear you and Trucky are doing better! LOL You got him taken care of real quick - that's nice.

We had a little problem with our set of wheels too - transmission issues - and we've been in a hotel in Louisiana for two weeks!!

We've already hit the Big Easy twice, but mainly have been enjoying the luxury of the room. I sort of don't mind these "forced" vacations. Getting back to work on Monday will be nice, but a teensy bit of a drag. LOL

See you out on the highway!
Decorina said…
Poor Trucky. I know what you mean - the turbo blew on a KW tractor that I was taking from Denver over the mountains to Grand Junction. I made it up the hill about 10 miles to the Genessee exit on I-70 when it blew completely. I made it off onto the exit ramp at 4mph so I could get set up for a tow.

Glad for you that you're back on the road.
Anonymous said…
You know, that's why I don't turn my radio on unless there's a reason like squirrely weather or a wreck or a traffic jam or something. Too often I've heard drivers (never the best or brightest, by the way) taking off on another driver be it a 4 wheeler or another 18 wheeler. After listening to them I've learned to be patient and tolerant because if I haven't made the same mistake those drivers have, I will one day.

GiGi, did you try to call me the other night? I'm sending my article in. If you want to be mentioned call me at 812 701 6549.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up