A Whirlwind Weekend

Life has been quite the whirlwind for me since my last blog. I finally made it home for some much appreciated R & R. My sweetie and I hopped in our new pick-up truck and took her for her first long trip. We headed west to visit some great friends of ours in Manchester, OH. We met their brand new precious baby girl, their 4 yr. old son (that we've heard all about but hadn't met before as we don't see these friends very frequently) and crashed out in their basement for the night.

The next morning my sweetums and I snuck out of the house in search of some down home grubbage. We found a greasy spoon in the area and enjoyed a fairly decent breakfast. Then we headed back to our friends' house to get ready to hit the road for Cincy.

It was a beautiful day for a drive and we followed out friends along the scenic by-way of US-52 into Cincy. There we headed straight to the Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal to see "BODIES the exhibit". It was interesting, educational and we had a great time exploring the human body.

After the museum we hung around out in front of it with our friends for a bit longer, before we were to part ways. Eventually, as the evening wore on and we realized it was getting late we headed for our respective cars and headed off into the sunset.

My other half and I were headed now to Lexington, KY to visit another friend of ours. We spent the night with George, catching up and hanging out. I pooped out at around midnight and I think the boys finally gave up around 3am. None of us stirred until nearly 10 am. But once we got up and atem we were good to go.

George took us over to the local "Chipotle" to grab some lunch to go. We ate our delicious burritos at the Lexington Cemetery. One of the finest cemetery's I've ever been to. Many of the headstones dated back into the 1800's. The cemetery is also the final resting place of Henry Clay.

Just as a note, the best cemetery I've ever been to is the Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, KY. It is filled with some of the most beautiful sculptures and monuments I've ever seen in my life. Some years ago, while my mother was still living, she, her boyfriend, and I actually got lost in the cemetery and subsequently locked in by the gate keeper.

When we did finally find the main gate and saw that it was closed and locked... we nearly freaked out. Until we found that the gate man was still in the "guardhouse" at the entrance. Kindly he let us go.

So anyway... after lunch in the cemetery we decided it was time to start working our way back home. We took I-64 east bound with only one detour along the way. And of course, that was to do one of my most favorite things in the world... cave/cavern exploration.

We stopped at Carter Caves State Resort Park to explore the "X Cave". We would have explored more if we'd not gotten there as the final call was being made for the last tour of the day. We can always go back though... and certainly will. The tour itself was fun and informative. And the State Park was just lovely. I'd really like a chance to spend more time there in the future for sure.

After our exploration we were finally on the last leg of our exhaustive journey. We got home and crashed out in front of the boob tube for a little bit before finally declaring UNCLE to a great weekend.

Come morning... it was back to work for both of us.

I got a load picking up in an OH border town headed to Houston, TX. It was a fairly uneventful trip, unless you count constant rain from Tennessee to Texas as an event. I made it to Houston on Wednesday, stayed the night there at our company terminal and headed across town the next morning to pick up my next load.

That load too me to mid-Arkansas.... at a facility that decided at the last minute that it didn't want the stinking load until Monday. So I took the loaded trailer to our terminal in W. Memphis and swapped it out for another load taking me back to Houston.

Right now I'm sitting south of Little Rock for the night... catching up on all the goings on I've missed on this world wide web thingy. And relaxing a bit. It's been pretty much non-stop for the past few days and a little downtime is kinda nice.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gi-Gi

Update your blog after Houston. If they send you to Laredo then back up I-35, I'll buy you a cup of coffee when you come through Austin.
Ed said…
Yeah the downtime with the trucking industry is some of the best. No one bothering you to go back to work and if you are an owner/op then you get to decide when you are going back to work. Great blog! I am an O/O for 6 years and a company driver for 6. I like being an O/O better because I have control over when and what I do and what I drive. I do have fond memories of company driving life though and if the circumstances were right I would switch back to it. Enough about me, I have blog reading to do. Take care!
GoGo said…
I just didn't like the bodies exhibit.

I wanted to know who the people were and what they did before their hearts stopped beating. Even if they volunteered, it was just to bare and raw and the positions they were in were annoying.

I did find the camel extremely interesting. If he was at that exhibit. Not sure if they interchange things.

Likes dead camels doesn't like dead humans. Explain that one.
Angela said…
Aaron, you know the reason you didn't mind the camel as opposed to the human bodies is pretty simple and you pretty much explained that by stating how you wished you knew who they were and such....

There was no camel at our exhibit, but interjected here and there simply for comparison were whale bones and parts... with no explanation other than "whale part". It was kinda wierd.

On a side note, the website I linked to for the exhibit has a FAQ section and it is in that section that you can find out who the specimens "might be".

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up