And More!

So I had promised to blog with pictures... and I did. So there. That should do for a while! Actually I'll have more pictures at the end of this one, just because I found a few more I wanted to share. But you'll just have to read what I have to say before you get that desert!

It's been a little bit since I blogged a good blog. Well... okay so it was about a week ago. And honestly, nothing of any real consequence has occured since then. The morning after I blogged in CT, I went to West Haven, CT to get loaded up with my next load. The guy I dealt with at the warehouse there was a gem of a guy. Not often do you find someone so friendly and funny and enjoyable! When I backed up to the door I went in and checked to make sure I was lined up right when I noticed that the nose of the trailer was FILTHY and that it needed swept out.

I did my part by cleaning it up and then went to tell the guy that it was clean and ready. We ended up talking for about 15 minutes. I learned a lot about him in that short time. He informed me that there was still yet some paperwork to be processed before he could load my trailer and that as soon as it was done, they'd start loading right away. He warned me that it might take a while. So I just told him I'd be in my truck and to come knock when they were done.

Not more than an hour later, after no movement in the trailer had begun, I got a knock at my door while I was in the back talking on the phone to my sweetie. I hopped up into the drivers' seat to see what was up and found my new friend standing below my door with a huge smile and a hand full of aluminum foil.

I rolled down the window and he said, "I got you a sandwich, it's nice to have hot food while you wait."

I couldn't believe my eyes, or my nose. What was waiting for me inside that foil smelled wonderful! I thanked him and took the sandwich. Then he headed off and got started on loading up my trailer.

I had to let the sandwich cool off, as it was hot and fresh. I wasn't sure what it was until I took my first bite. It was a breakfast sandwich with some sort of home made bread, white american cheese and thinly sliced canadian bacon. OMG it was delish!

I ate the sandwich and lounged around my bunk while I continued to wait for the loading to end.
It wasn't long before he was back out knocking on my door for me to come in and inspect the load job and fill out the paperwork.

Again we had a nice long conversation in which I promised I would stop in and say howdy next time I was in West Haven. Then I was off to Mississippi!

The trip to deliver was a little lengthy, but it was mostly pleasant. I stopped for one night in Carlisle, PA, another in White Pine, TN. The third night was spent in Forest, MS and the fourth day I delivered in Pelahatchie, MS.

I was, unfortunately, led astray by my provided directions to the delivery point and ended up doing a huge circle on a road that was not a primary truck route. I stopped and called the place I was delivering to for accurate directions... which would later prove entertainment for myself and several others.

I finally made it to the place and was met outside by the receiver who told me which door he wanted me in and what the process would be for getting unloaded. I backed into the dock and waited.... and waited and waited. After nearly two hours of not hearing a single living soul in the trailer I figured I'd better go see what was the hold up.

Turns out, the receiver had just sorta disappeared and no one had heard or seen him in a couple hours. CRAP!

I went into a managers office and made my case known. Of course, the manager was the one that I'd spoken to earlier that morning for directions and that prompted a round of jokes while we waited for someone to locate the receiver (who was only on day two of his newfound employment there).

After about half an hour the guy was found trying to park a trailer in the back lot with much adversity. Someone relieved him of that duty (which apparently he'd been attempting for the two hours he'd been missing) and allowed him to come take care of my load.

It was very frustrating and funny at the same time. Within 1 hours I was unloaded and ready to roll. But not after getting asked for my phone number twice.... I guess southern boys see a short girl driving a truck and get all antsy in their pantsy. I don't know why I was asked, especially in the condition I was in that day... dirty, stinky, cranky and tired.

But I digress.

I finally fled the compound of imcompetence and was on my way to pick up my next load. This would prove even more frustrating. But for different reasons. The load I was to pick up was preloaded on another trailer. Usually, that means I will simply drop my empty trailer and hook up to the loaded one and be on my merry little way.

Not so at this locale! Nope... it was a G.P. plant that was as anal rententive as I've ever seen. You had to first wait in line for the clean out area, which for me took about 30 minutes to reach thanks to the insane influx of trucks that day. It was my first time there so I don't know if it's always that busy but it seemed excessive.

So I finally get to the clean out station and have to back up to what is bascially a catwalk with dumpsters and then go out and sweep out my trailer. Then over to the dispatch window to sign and receive my paperwork and orders.

Did I mention yet that it was about 95 degrees out that day with 100% humidity? Yeah... I was lovin' it... SIKE!

Long story short, I dropped my empty grabbed my full and was outta there and blasting my AC the whole way. That night I stayed in Redfield, AR just south of Little Rock and then the following night (last night actually) landed me in Lincoln, IL.

In the midst of a rash of severe thunderstorms and tornado's. These things I cannot seem to escape for long. I sat in my front seat staring out the window last night at quite an amazing lightening show. Listening to the rain pummel my truck cab and the wind howl through the trees. Thankfully, no tornado's touched down too close to where I was. But it was once again too close for comfort.

But alas... I survived! And ended up in Tomah, WI for tonite. I delivered my load earlier today and have been holed up here in Tomah since my drop. Tomorrow I pick up a preloaded trailer and head over to Cedar Rapids, IA for a short little run. Then who knows where the road will take me.

....before I forget... a few pictures from the vault...

Photobucket

Exiting the NJ Turnpike toll booths when everyone is on the wrong side for the road they need to take. This was just madness! Everyone on the right was trying to get to the far left lane. I ended up just letting everyone go ahead of me so I didn't risk getting into any accidents. Apparently three occured in this location that day. Fender benders of impatience.

Photobucket

Chickie in the Ca' and the Ca' won't Go... Chicago!

Photobucket

Better than any Wally World Greeter... Mr. Mouse always has a warm smile for those visiting the Black River Falls area!

Photobucket

Someone else having the duty of toting a wind turbine blade through Wisconsin. You should've seen how insanely the blade flexed with each bump in the road. I'd certainly not want that job!

Photobucket

One of my tasty RoadPro Portable Stove meals. Carrots and Stove Top Stuffing with Chicken Chunks. It was tasty!

Photobucket

And of course... moi! Taken in my hometown during my last bit of time off. We had just begun our day of motorcycle riding and I was not yet beaten and battered from the back perch of the ol' mans' bike. haha (see I'm still smiling)

Comments

Nancy Matson said…
Nice pics! Especially you with the hot dog.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up