Week Four - Professional Truck Driver Training

Well folks, I've made it to the halfway mark finally. Week four has ended on a good note and I'm glad to have next weekend off to catch up on much missed sleeping and "me" time. It's been four weeks and I'm still struggling with the early mornings. But I digress...

This weekend of training was a little more stressful in that we were forced to work through these ridiculous worksheet scenarios of travel and such and plot it all on a log book sheet, figure out hours, mileage, stops, fueling, taking a crap, you name it. Yesterday I saw my brain climbing out of my ear on a rope screaming for help. I swear. I came home with an aching empty head cavity.

I know that once I get out there and I am managing my own time and Log Book I will be okay. As long as I keep close track of my hours and such I should be good to go. But man... doing those worksheets was just plain insane. And it's not like we did one or two... no sir! We had 10 hours of doing that stuff yesterday. Hours... ten of them... long tedious hours. UGH!
Today was a little better. We got in touch with our inner professionals today and went through a program called "Coaching the Professional Driver". It was basically reiteration of the obvious safety factors that must be considered during any driving situation. From city to rural driving and everything in between. How to react, what to keep an eye out for, you know... stuff we should all be doing even in our 4 wheeled vehicles. (wow... does wheeled look like a weird word or what?)

After lunch we did one more Log Book scenario and then it was out to the range for our first real taste of the Pre-Trip Inspection. Oh My Lanta! There is a lot of stuff to remember. And we have to know this stuff in 5 weeks! HA! Most of it is redundant stuff, I mean you are gonna check for the same stuff on every set of wheels on the tractor and trailer. But there are a lot of "parts" in the engine compartment and around the drive components that I've never heard of before, and if I have... I never actually saw the item. The instructor, Mr. R, was pointing out stuff left and right and I was doing my best to make mental notes of it all so I wouldn't feel like a complete retard when we get out there with the new range instructor.

*sigh* Can you tell my brain is working overtime still?

I am glad to have the upcoming weekend off but I'm more looking forward to the weekend after that when we finally get to sit in the drivers seat ourselves. Bring it! I'm so ready!
But for right now... I'm out ladies and gentlemen. I'm tired and I want a nice cold beer.

Love Peace and 5th Wheel Grease

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello