Week Three - Professional Truck Driver Training

Well we're moving right along in class. This weekend we began learning the fine art of "Log Books". Fun stuff, lemme tell ya! (please note the sarcasm) I think that the Log Book part of my future trucking life is going to be one of the most difficult things I'm going to have to deal with.


Upon first sight, the Log Book doesn't look too difficult. The theory is basically, use a single solid line to plot out every move you make in any given 24 hour period. Simple enough, right? Well it would seem simple anyway. But when combined with the Hours of Service regulations it can be quite a headache from what I can tell at this point.


I'm sure that after a bit, I'll have it down pat and hopefully be able to keep a quality accurate Log Book that will keep me fine free. Yes, I said FINE FREE. $$$ Apparently there are a gajillion people out there who are just waiting for a bad Log Book to come their way so that they can pile on the fines. Fun. Not.


Aside from learning the Log Book ropes we also started to get used to using Trucker Maps. Not too difficult for myself, an avid Atlas carrier/user. But it seems Beavis and Butthead are having a tough time grasping the concepts of Mapping and Map Use. I mean, how hard is it to find any town in D-3 on the map for the state of West Virignia? Really?


But anywho. I apologize for not being any more excited while posting this blog. Three weeks of 7 days a week is starting to take it's toll on me both mentally and physically. I'm drained. One more week then I have a whole weekend, a long weekend no less, off from both school and work. I'll be sleeping in and taking advantage of that for sure. I can't wait.


Next weekend we're supposed to get more in depth with the Maps and Log Books. We're also losing our regular instructor for the duration of our course. He said he might come in during one of our driving weekends, but who knows. He's been great though. And I thanked him on the way out the door today for all the knowledge both text book and real life that he has imparted upon us. Great guy, Mr. E... Farewell!

Comments

Chris said…
Ahh, you will get the log book down real quick and then you will learn how to "play" with it a little bit... I mean "Officer, of course our logs are legal" haha...

I saw that I'm listed in your links section... My blog is going real slow right now but give me a month or so and I HOPE I'll be back on the road...

Chris
The Daily Rant said…
Gi-Gi...

Do you use paper logs? We do ours on the computer and it's AWESOME!

It calculates everything for you and you NEVER have to worry about violating the HOS.

Just curious.

Salena

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello