Week One - Professional Truck Driver Training

Day 1 - First day went ok. Lots of information, but the instructor insists on not getting ahead of schedule, so we got to leave early. I'm not complaining really. And I'm taking advantage of being home early by heading to beddy-bye for a nice little afternoon nap. The Instructor, Mr. E, did tell us that this weekend will probably be the only "early out" weekend we'll have. As we progress we'll be hard pressed to get out on time! Fun Fun! I'm really looking forward to what the future classes hold. Mr. E is a 30+ year veteran driver. He's been there, done that and see it all! Some great stories and real world information has already came out of his mouth. I'm looking forward to more! That's it for now... I'm tired. 5:45am is painful...

Day 2 - Today was much the same as yesterday, read read read, watch a video and read some more. A few more videos and then multiple breaks in between it all. We took lunch a little earlier than was planned, but he let us hang out when we made it back until about noon. Then it was time to take our first test.

Mr. E slapped down the test booklet and then handed us our answer sheet. Sweet! Multiple choice! The clincher... 100 questions.. DMV style. In WV, DMV style simply means... completely rigged for failure. You have to read every single word of each question to make sure you understand it before even looking at the answers. Until you've taken a DMV drivers/learners permit written test, you will never realize the importance of attention to details and minute words like "not" and "must". You don't realize how often you overlook these words, seriously!
I did manage to whiz right through the test. I had about 12 questions that I left blank and went back to answer. I still found them difficult to understand, thanks to the tricky wording, and of the 12 or so I had to go back for, I only got three of them wrong.


I ultimately passed the test... I missed a total of 8 questions which landed me a 92%. woot woot!

I deserve icecream.

The other two guys in the class failed miserably. They took about 45 minutes longer than myself to complete the test and still failed. I feel bad for them, but they will just have to retake the test. I wonder if they will pass their learners permit test at the DMV in time? I may study ahead and try to take mine this week. That way if I fail any part of it I can retake that section and hopefully have the permit by week four.

Anywho... we were just getting started on the Air Breaks section of the manual when a phone call came into the office for one of the other students. It was a member of his family... his mom's house was on fire. He left immediately and Mr. E just cancelled the rest of class. No sense in moving forward and risk him falling behind. So woo hoo... early out again. I can't wait for next week!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gi-Gi - Thanks so much for your blog!! I am starting school next week and can't wait! I know there will be ups (some friends are drivers also)...keep up the good work! I'll be following you as you go!! Be safe...
Anonymous said…
Good Start. Hope we will kick back all the stuff and come out with flying colors. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I think that this blog provides the best information

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello