Rockin' & Rollin'

Well I'm finally back on the road again. Kenny was repaired last night and was waiting for me when I arrived at the dealership first thing this morning. After giving him a good going over we got moving on our work assignment. I had to drive down to Salem, VA to pick up an empty trailer which will be filled with freight by 10am tomorrow morning, when I make the last of three stops bound for the Midwest.

I am so happy to be rolling again. Making money the hard-working honest way feels so much better than making money just sitting around doing nothing. I know, I know... I sound like a crazy fool. But that's just the way I am.

I never have been comfortable with the idea of being paid for doing nothing. I just can't deal with it. Which is why office work about killed me because out of 8 hours that I was being paid for, I usually only had 4-6 hours worth of actual work to do. Some days, and some jobs, even less. It was frustrating for me to be sitting there at work with no job to do.

Which is why I really enjoy this field of work, because even when I'm not driving I feel like I'm doing something. Being in the truck when I'm not driving gives me time to clean my space or maybe organize my tool box (over and over again after messing up each time I dig for some new tool).

To me it feels that even when I'm sleeping in the berth, I'm on the job. Because with my presence, I am protecting the rig and the load. So asleep or awake, as long as I'm in my rig and on the road I'm working. I might only log a 9-10 hour day, but I'm at it for a full 24.

Now if I could just get paid what I feel that sort of service is worth..... hmmm... ah what dreams are made of!

Comments

chip said…
So what was kenny's illness and what was the cure? Let me guess;more new cables.
that's that good ol west virginia work ethic!!!....glad kenny is mended and you're back on the road.....be safe!!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic