Oh, Canada... Part Deux

So I was given a load assigment to pick up a load of hay bales in Cobden, Ontario. Okay... not bad. It was good milage and a great chance to see more of the Canadian country side. So I headed up that way and stopped for the night at a really nice truck stop.

The next morning, refreshed and ready to go, I headed out to make the rest of the way to the "shipper" to get my load as scheduled. I had a 10am appointment. I arrived at the "shipper" 15 minutes early. The "shipper" was at a private farm residence on a single lane country DIRT road. I honked the horn to let them know I was there... but no one came out to greet me as I sat in the middle of the single lane dirt road with my flashers on. I waited a few minutes then went up to knock on the front door. No one was home. Except for the sweet yellow labrador who seemed entirely too happy to see a human around there.

So I went back out to my truck, which is still sitting in the middle of a single lane dirt road, to wait a while longer. After 15 minutes more or so I called the contact number for the "shipper" that I'd been provided. No answer..... go figure.

So I called my company for help. Apparently, the "shipper" had moved residence and it was not updated in the system. So they took me off the load. Only problem is... I'm on a SINGLE LANE DIRT ROAD in the middle of no where Ontrario with NO place to turn around a 65 foot rig. So my managers advice...

call 911.

And I did.

And the police were able to help me by giving me directions to get out of there. They couldn't promise me that the roads were truck friendly or that I'd be able to make the necessary turns without ending up in a ditch. But they assured me that if I could follow the directions that it would take me back to where I needed to go. The officer I spoke to also gave me his personal cell phone number so that if I did get "stuck" I could call him and he would come out and help.

Lucky for me I was able to get out with relative ease. It was a little nerve wracking but I overcame the obstacles and was back on course in no time.

Thank you Cobden Ontario Police! You rule!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up