Obsessive Compulsive Disordely Conduct

I was walking across the parking lot at work the other day when I impuslviely reached down to check the zipper on my pants. I realized at that moment that this is something I do EVERY day and something I don't even really realize I'm doing most of the time. It's not like I have a habit of leaving my fly down. I have a very strict sequence of events that I follow when getting dressed and in that sequence is "button, zip, buckle, stuff".

The stuff part is actually "stuff 1, 2, 3" because my uniform pants have three pockets and I have to check each one to make sure they're where they are supposed to be. "Right , left and butt cheek" is how I say it in my head as I stuff my hands into each pocket in order.

This is part of my morning routine, and sometimes my mid-day routine if I've changed out of my uniform for my split and have to redress for work a second time for the day. So checking my fly after exiting the car in the parking lot at work is logically pointless. But I do it anyway. Obsessively.

Another one of my little compulsions is checking for bogeys. I'll search the reflection of my nose in a mirror multiple times before I'm satisifed that there aren't any boogers to be seen. If I'm in the car, I'll flip down the visor, slip open the mirror and scan the nose area. I'll confirm that it's clean and slip the mirror closed and flip the visor back up. I'll then grab my purse, remove my keys from the ignition and then realize I wasn't 100% sure I was nose goblin free and have to go through the process of checking my nose in the mirror again.

Of course after I've exited the car, checked my zipper and started walking towards the garage at work I find myself swiping at my nose, making certain there isn't anything hanging out waiting to embarrass me when I get inside.

Ok, so I also have issues when it comes to shower time too. I know it's a small one, but every time I am about to step into the shower, knowing full well I've removed every article of clothing I still have to check myself. And for whatever reason it can't be as simple as just a quick glance in the mirror. No, I have to touch certain places to make sure there isn't anything there.

And don't assume it's in "that way" either you perverts. I reach my left hand around to my back like I would if I were reaching around to undo my brazier to make sure it's not there. When I complete this task I then use the same hand to lightly tap my hip, making sure no undies were left behind, then I wiggle my toes. No socks, no shoes... let's shower.

The crazy part to this is that I've never gotten into the shower with clothes on. Ever, that I can remember. But for as long as I can remember I've done this little quick ritual to make certain I'm clothing free for my shower.

Now I know that I'm not alone in this next one. I've talked to plenty of people who do the same thing when it comes to telling time. I can stare at my watch for an entire minute and still not know what time it is. I will look at it, look away, look at it again and still not be able to say what time it is. It typically takes me three times before I actually get the time. And it's not just my dialed wristwatch. It's the digital readout on my iPhone, the alarm clock on the nightstand, the clock on the wall, pretty much any timepiece.

Of course, it's not every glance that I can't tell time. I'd say it's about 2 out of every 5 times I need to know what time it is that this occurs.

I wish I could obsess over things that mattered or helped humanity. Like laundry or dishes or charity work. But no, it's always the mundane things that logically I already know are in order and taken care of that I obsess over.

What are your OCDC's?

Comments

Truckingtiger said…
OCD's for me...

1. Truckstop bathrooms...I have to first check the seat (men miss the hole 90% of the time). Once Im sure that is dry, I check the TP holder to make sure its got tp. NOTHING worse than not having any. LOL.

2. I can't put my left sock or left shoe on first.

3. I refuse to step on a white line. On a field of sport, or on a road. won't do it.

4. i eat ALL of my french frys before i will touch the burger.

I have more, but you get the gist.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic