<--- SLACKER!

Yeah, so I totally didn't feel like blogging about week #3 until now, which happens the beginning of week #4. Primarily because week 3 kicked my butt. It was my first week out with the seasoned drivers, learning some of the routes as well as the in's and out's of bus driving. And it was mentally exhausting. By Friday, I was a zombie.

Honestly, even after a holiday weekend, I still feel like a zombie. My brain is on mega-ultra overload. And even more honestly, my morale is low. I know it will take time to learn it all. But patience is something I am typically low on anyway. So the fact that I'm not getting it all right away just frustrates me. It's just one of my issues that I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Last week, week 3 was a doozy. And on one particular day I met with my first real emotional struggle where carrying passengers is concerned. I was at the helm for my first circuit on a route that had many twists and turns. The trainer had driven the route only once before handing me the wheel. So I really only had caught about half of it with that first pass. I was confused and nervous.

I was, however, cruising right along enjoying myself and the beautiful day when all of a sudden a passenger literally screamed in my ears, "you're gonna miss the turn!" It was ear splitting, shocking, and so sudden that my gut reaction surpassed all logic and my foot jammed on the brake. Of course, the screamer landed in the floor and I was embarrassed beyond belief.

But the trainer remained calm and seriously helped me calm down quickly. But I was still teetering on the edge of a minor breakdown for at least 30 minutes after the incident. It took every single ounce of energy I had to keep a tear drop from spilling down my cheek. I wanted so bad to cry, as it's my natural defense. But I didn't.

After a few more passes, I had the route down pat and didn't dare miss a single turn. By the end of the day I was feeling much better about it.

That was really my most exciting moment from week #3.

And since I'm feeling slacker-like... I'm done. :)

Comments

MacDaddy said…
Don't feel bad. I drove a city bus years ago and on my first day out alone, I picked up my first passenger early on a Sunday morning and then forgot to make a turn on the route. Thankfully my passenger didn't seem to mind the express service to her stop that was near the end of the line.

I never told my boss and hopefully, since it was the first run on a Sunday, there were no waiting passengers at the 12 or so stops that I forgot to drive by.

Good luck with new job

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello