New Beginnings

I'm so over that bubble gig. Yesterday I started training for my new job. Super fun... or something. My new job in literal translation is: "transit bus operator". In layman's terms: city bus driver, In the world of all that is moi: Gi-Gi the Bus Driving Adventuress. ;o) All aboard, sit down, shut up and enjoy this whole new ride folks! It's gonna be something! So, day one was pretty much just butt loads of confusing info, tons of forms, more confusing info, and a trip to the Golden Corral lunch buffet. My brain was on overload and my behind was sore after the 8 hour day of sitting and listening. So much so that I had trouble doing much more than being a complete couch potato once I got home. I even had trouble sleeping last night because of all the things running around inside my head. It was pure madness in there. Today was day two. We were fed still yet more info, however, today it seemed to be less confusing. We pretty much focused on ADA training. ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act which protects the rights and liberties of persons with disabilities. We watched several long videos about the various types of disabilities we will encounter on a regular basis and how to deal with various situations which might arise. During the classroom portion of the ADA training in which we watched the videos we were suffered a series of 21 scenarios in which a bus evacuation was needed, with various "body counts" and exit ways. Basically we were to imagine that the bus had, for instance, caught fire and there were three passengers who could evacuate of their own accord, one who was in a wheelchair and another who was on the floor unconscious. And of course the driver had to manage to get everyone out safely. Imagine that, repeated in various numbers of passengers with "incidents or accidents" of all types, 21 times in a row. It was numbing. Thankfully, the instructor had mercy and didn't make us watch the entire tape... 21 was apparently enough to get the idea across. And once we were sufficiently tired of watching "Mark" pull "Vickie" out of the burning bus, we were given the news that it was lunch time. Today, the instructor insisted that a student drive us to and from our dining location. So one of the males in the class, by the way there are 4 guys and 2 gals, volunteered to haul us all over to the Golden Corral. We feasted and chatted and were stuffed to the gullet when the call was made to head back to the yard. As we walked across the parking lot towards the bus the instructor dangled the keys in his hand and asked who was next. I had thought to volunteer but was volunteered before I could speak up by the rest of the class. Nearly in unison I heard, "Let curly take us back!" So I caught the keys and headed over to the driver's seat. After adjusting the seat, the mirrors and closing the bi fold doors I cranked over the engine and put the bus in gear and headed to the yard. I was complimented by the others for my mad driving skillz. Yeah, I'm gonna brag when I have a reason to. Even with the brutal wind that was blowing today, especially on the river bridges, I held my own in that beast. The remainder of the training day was spent in the various styles of buses on the yard learning about the wheelchair accessibility functions like chair lifts, ramps and securement devices. Each student took a turn riding in a wheelchair while another student practiced using the lifts and securement devices in each vehicle. We finished up at around five minutes til quitting time. Over all so far I think that this was a very good career move for me. The people at the company are all great. Everyone, including the other more seasoned drivers, have been quite welcoming and friendly and helpful. It seems to be kind of one big happy bus driving family. And I believe that will make this not only a great place to work but a fun place to work. My attitude may change once I'm out there, picking up the general public, dealing with a-holes and such. But for right now, I'm getting quite excited about it all. So there. I hope the rest of the week goes as well as today and yesterday went. And I can say (for right now) I really look forward to the days ahead.

Comments

Jason S Harry said…
I enjoyed this post Curly! I think it sounds like you found a great gig and I think you will enjoy working with the public, as they will you. Of course you're an ace behind the wheel given your previous monstrosity vehicular experience! So happy for you, and I look forward to reading more about your new journey!
some asian guy said…
glad to hear the props for the skilz. and i hope the grateful to a-hole ratio is high :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello