Misses Yuck.

Okay, so I finally got rolling again on the 6th of Jan. I picked up a load in Ohio and headed back to my house for one last night at home (I got really spoiled with all that time off, okay!). I hit the road early Wed. morning and made it to our terminal in Carlisle, PA...already exhausted for the day. Thursday morning, I hit it again and made my delivery in CT around the one o'clock hour I believe it was. I was starting to feel really icky by this time, but figured I'd shake it with some Zicam and Vitamin C.

As I was being unloaded I received my next work assignment which would take me into Mass. to pick up a preloaded trailer and head south towards Savannah, GA. With enough time to get the load and put a couple of hours of highway behind me left on my day, I did just that. I was pooped and was glad to have found parking at a travel plaza on I-95 in CT.

I'm learning that while there are usually a few parking spaces available at these plaza's just before sundown, it's really NOT the best pick for parking spots. Especially around the Milford, CT area. But, I hate the Pilot and the other T/S there at ex. 40 more than the travel plaza's. And since I was very close on hours, I knew I couldn't make it much further. So I pulled into the travel plaza to shut down.

I woke up at around 4:30 am (Fri. morning) thinking there must be some crazy storm brewing. It sounded like something was tapping on my drivers' side door and my truck was swaying side to side. As I really started to come out of my comatose sleeping state I realized that I didn't hear anything else that was tell-tale of wind or any other sort of weather phenomenon. And just as suddenly as it had started, it stopped.

I rolled back over and planned to drift back off to dreamland when suddenly the tapping and swaying started again. Now more alert, I realized it was someone knocking on my door. The swaying was caused by someone standing on my side steps trying to "shake me awake" apparently.

I threw back my curtain and saw "the Whore" hanging onto my mirror looking back towards the rest of the parking lot, chewing her gum like a Valley Girl, hair in a sloppy pony tail and sweat beads forming along the hairline on her forehead. As I threw back the curtain she turned to face me. In my most pissed off expression I pointed to the "no lot lizard" sticker clearly displayed on my window, flipped her off and mouthed the word "Whore" silently.

Sadly it took her a few extra seconds before realization snapped across her face. Her stepping down off my truck was the last thing I saw as I yanked the curtain back into place.

F'n Whores.

I believe it was this same plaza that I was previously mistaken for a lot lizard by a car full of lot lizards last year. One of which knocked on my door later that night, suddenly realizing that I was not a Whore like her, but an actual truck driver.

I almost feel like I should apologize for using such a harsh term for these "professional women". But I can't do it. Because that's what they are. Whores. They could get real jobs, but instead they chose to sell their "wares" in parking lots across America. I have zero respect for them.

But I digress... so being woke up at 4:30 in the morning didn't agree with me for the rest of the day pretty much. As I said I had started feeling icky the day before, a tickle of a sore throat, mostly nasal congestion. But by this time it was really starting to kick up a notch and my whole body was aching.

I needed to press on as I had to deliver the load I picked up in MA. on Thurs., in GA by noon on Saturday. So Friday was a big driving day, putting on nearly 600 miles to get from Milford, CT to Kenly, NC. I was wrecked... exhausted... sick as a dog by the time I stopped at the TA in Kenley. I called, begging for mercy but mercy wasn't in the area to recover the load. So I was stuck.

I rested up as best I could Friday night and early Saturday morning I got up and started the last leg of my journey. I was miserable the whole time, coughing, snotting, sneezing, hacking... and HURTING all over. But I made it an hour before it was actually due. As I was dropping the trailer I heard beeps coming from my Qualcomm. Crap... another load.

This one I picked up nearby and was to head north with towards Raleigh, NC. It was preloaded and had three stops loaded on it. I grabbed the load and hit the road, reluctantly. I made it as far as Latta, SC for the night. I was feeling horrible by the time I pulled into the Wilco T/S parking lot, my head pounding and my cough sounding worse and worse. I parked, logged, went in and used the restroom, ate food and returned to my truck.

I set my alarm for 1700 and and figured I'd take a little nap. I was out before I hit the pillow and woke suddenly when my alarm went off. I didn't think I'd been asleep for nearly two hours. But indeed I had. I woke up long enough to call my sweetie, then back to sleep I went. I woke up at around 4:30 this morning, this time to actual rain and wind attacking my truck. When I realized it was indeed just a storm, I rolled back over and slept until 8:30.

At that point I got up, got motivated and hit the road to make it a little closer to Raleigh. On the way I realized I shouldn't have been driving at all. I was unable to concentrate, focus, and do what needs to be done to be a safe driver. My head was still pounding, my cough worse than before, my nose dripping unabated. I was wrapped in a cold blanket of misery. Luckily by the time I made the realization that I shouldn't be driving I was nearing my intended destination.

Two hours of total work today, and I'm ready to pass out from exhaustion. I sent in a message to ask if there was any chance that someone else could come get this load and do the three stop deliveries tomorrow. And after a little fuss and muss with the idiots that work weekends, a relay was set up and I can now rest and try to get well.

I will call my manager in the morning to work on a plan of action. I believe that if I still feel this badly come morning, I should probably seek medical attention. I am in fear mostly of infection, which left untreated can cause a whole host of other problems. So until tomorrow, I'm taking it easy and just resting.

Comments

Prince Roy said…
I was always curious how truckers handled getting ill while on the road. It's not like you can exactly call in sick--well, I guess you can after all, but it must throw a monkey wrench in things. Interesting...

Anyway, hope you feel better soon!
Unknown said…
Hope you feel better soon. Be careful.
Crystal
Anonymous said…
Good luck to you, Gigi. Hope you get to rest up and fight this cold or illness. There's a very bad chest cold brewing out west -- caught it in Arizona from my friend who probably picked it up in California -- took about a week to get past it (without your driving and your tough schedule). Debilitating. It didn't settle in as hard as yours has because I was able to rest more and did not have the killer schedule or stress you are facing.

Flew back on JetBlue redeye, minus senses of hearing or smell. Useful, due to toddler across the aisle who screamed her way across country. Maybe she had the same cold arriving. Sympathised with her and her mother.

Best wishes! Wish I could send you some good health! Are you allowed to take Robitussin DM for chest congestion? It was a lot of help.

Happier New Year!

Belledog
Unknown said…
It doesn't matter where you stop now, because of the economy, the lot lizards are out in force with their "pimps" forcing them out at all hours and in the worst weater conditions. If you can find a space, park across the street at the place next to that Pilot in Milford. Hope you feel better.
VGrumpy
freezing my ass of in Norfolk NE
acourtesyflush.blogspot.om
lifeontheroad.com
Anonymous said…
Gigi hope you get to feeling better soon. Stay Safe!


EW
Terry said…
Gigi..I agree with V.Grumpy....Park at Secondi's (across from the Pilot) I am there every Monday night and have never been disturbed by a lot lizard!! (8 yrs) Plus, it is a lot easier to get into. I walk over to the Pilot for my shower. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello