Stuff

Well the load faery did finally come and visit me. The same evening on which I posted my last blog I received a load assignment! I was thrilled. It picked up in VA Beach the following morning and was bound north to Connecticut. It was a tight one though, but I made it okay. I picked up the load first thing Tuesday morning, was loaded and ready to roll in less than an hour.

I had to go north up the coast pretty much and I was really worried that I'd end up hitting inauguration traffic along the way. So to avoid the major headache that was probably bound to be on I-95, I took a more rural route heading up US-17, picking up US-301 and then finding my way to I-97 and up from there.

OMG that was the best decision I've made in months! It was a beautiful drive and I very leisurely I made my way north, seeing relatively little traffic. I listened to the Inauguration on my XM radio and was overwhelmed with a massive mix of emotions. I prefer not to get into that part of my life here though, so I'll pick back up on I-95 north of DC.

I really enjoyed my trip through the DC/Baltimore area for the first time in a long time. Once I got to Baltimore I hit I-695 to the east, crossing my favorite bridge ever and then picking up I-95 again on the north side of the city. I made it as far as the Petro in Bordentown, NJ that night before I had only about 45 minutes left on my 11 hr driving day. I hate staying there but managed to snag a great spot on the IdleAire station right up front.

Once parked and settled I headed in for a bite to eat at the Iron Skillet. There I enjoyed a tasty meal and great conversation as I opted for the first time ever to sit in the "drivers only" area. I never like putting myself into community feeding areas, but last night I felt froggy. So I took a seat at the middle pit with the least scary looking folks and settled in for a nice treat!

After grubbing and chatting for a bit I headed out, made a few phone calls and called it a night. I was out cold by 8:30 pm. And got up the next morning to make the rest of my trip to CT.


I allowed myself an extra hour and a half in case I ran into traffic in NYC or in the first 20 or so miles of CT. Much to my surprise, I never once caught up to any real congestion. There was a little confusion just after the GW bridge, but it only lasted a minute or two and then it was off again at the posted speed limit.

I arrived at my destination and found that it was a tiny little place that was going to be a real pill to get backed into. And boy was that ever the understatement! I ended up trying it sight sided to no avail and then blind sided to no avail. There was a side parking lot about 30x50 that I was finally able to back up into and better position myself to maneuver my trailer up to the dock. But in order to utilize the lot, I had to shovel about a six foot long and four foot high pile of snow and ice out of my way.

Today I'm feeling it, and I don't like it.

But I did finally manage to get docked and then sat waiting for the folks to get there to unload me. You see, what actually happened was my company gave me an appointment time for 8am at one location. But after looking it up on Google Maps, I wanted to call the place to find out which building in the shopping plaza they were and what the best plan of action was for entering the plaza. It looked tight and confusing so I wanted to be sure before I got there.

Upon calling the place I learned that 1) they weren't expecting any deliveries, they'd placed an order but it was never confirmed with them that the freight was being picked up. 2) the load would be delivered to their warehouse across town, not to the store. and 3) that they didn't even open until 10am and couldn't therefore send any employees over to unload the stuff until at least 9:30.

I'm thankful that I called for directions instead of just heading up there and parking in the shopping plaza parking lot wondering where everyone was for two hours. I did still end up arriving at the warehouse at 8am but I didn't mind having a little extra time to relax before the work was to start.

Once the guys arrived it didn't take them long to get me unloaded. And finally empty I headed over to the TA in Branford, CT. I always forget about that TA since I rarely come up I-95 in CT that far. I am usually cutting up I-91 or stopping before that junction. I think I've only been on that stretch a couple of times before.

But anyway.

So I delivered and parked and waited and have been left still waiting for freight. I know it might take a while before I get anything this time simply because the load I need will have to take me towards our Carlisle terminal since that's where I'll be taking my time off this month. My sweetie should be arriving tomorrow afternoon and we'll be headed off to visit some of his family for a mini-winter reunion and then we'll visit some of our dearest friends the following day. It's gonna be nice! woo hoo A little time off and a semi-road trip with my sweetums!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello