I know you're out there..

Watching, waiting... anxious for each new blog?

How about this one....

So I picked up a load in PA that would deliver at two stops in VA near VA Beach the other day. I headed south and made it to stop number one with enough time for a 10 hour break and a nice visit with friends who recently moved to the area. It was super short but super nice to be able to visit with them. Plus, I got to eat at Red Lobster, which I've not done in YEARS, and thoroughly enjoyed.

I'd arrived at my first stop around 2pm and couldn't deliver until the next morning at 2am. I'd also gotten way off my sleeping schedule by the time I'd arrived so I was going to have a rough time of it for the next day or so. I tried and failed to get some quality sleep before going to dinner with my friends. Then I hoped beyond hope that I would be able to sleep after dinner, with a full belly and all.

All I got was about 3 total hours of cat napping before it was time to get docked and unloaded. UGH... it was going to be a long day! I did get unloaded fairly quickly and figured that I'd head on down to the second stop which was about 30 miles away and see if maybe they'd take me early. My delivery appointment was set for 4:30am but I arrived at 3:30 am on the nose. And I was elated to learn that they would take me right away.

So I was docked and emptied in less than 40 minutes. I updated my availability with my company in hopes of getting moving rather quickly. But that wasn't in the stars. I'd asked permission to park along side the building where I'd delivered and was granted permission, so long as I didn't idle. So I parked it, pulled my curtains tight and hit the hay.

I figured I'd wake up to the sound of my QualComm beeping with my next load assignment within the hour. HA! Yeah right!

I woke up at nearly 8 am, fully rested and ready to go... but still no work assignment. So I called in to ask what was up and I was told that dispatch was working on something and that I'd get my assignment shortly.

And it wasn't more than 20 minutes before the beeps ensued. Beeps that told me that I'd have to sit where I was for a full 10 hour break and then some before I could head 36 miles across the way to get the load, which wouldn't be ready until 6pm.

BAH!

Luckily, I was in a mall area with plenty to keep me occupied while I waited. Since I'd gotten rested up I headed out on foot to explore the local shops. First stop... Starbucks for some toasty warm mocha. Then it was off to the mall. I enjoyed myself completely as I wandered from store to store looking at things I'd never in a million years ever wear, watch or buy. I did end up buying a few more small Christmas gifts, small since I didn't want to have to carry anything too heavy back to the truck across multiple lanes of traffic.

I also scored big at F.Y.E where they were having a BOGO on tv show dvd packs. woo hoo! That was almost as awesome as the new "Slatkin & Co. Scent Portable" I got from Bath & Body Works in the holiday favorite scent of "sweet cinnamon pumpkin" YUM YUM. Now my truck smells tasty all day long!

After shopping to my hearts content and getting in a good two hours of walking/exercise I headed back towards the truck. It was close to lunch time so I stopped for a bit of horrible Chinese food which I could only consume about a quarter of before losing my appetite completely. Then I spotted a salon and figured I'd get a shampoo and trim while I had time to spare.

Shopped and chopped, I finally arrived back to my truck with my arm full of goodies and a stylish new 'do. Impatience started setting in at around 1 pm so I figured I'd head on over to where I was supposed to get my load at 6 pm and maybe get lucky enough to be worked in early.

Of course, that didn't happen. So I ended up sitting there for nearly 4 hours before my appointment taking up valuable space on their parking lot, watching my new dvd score from earlier that day. I also chatted on the phone to several folks (Hi PJ! I know you're reading this...) indeed so many folks that my phone actually died in the middle of my "good-night" conversation with my ol' man.

Today, I made my way north bound with the load I picked up last night ending up in PA along I-80. I can't deliver until 1 pm tomorrow and I've only got about 140 miles left to go... so I'm sleeping in and taking my time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic