What's with the Animals?

I related a story about a llama leading a pack of sheep across a field in a previous blog. As if that wasn't odd enough. Yesterday I saw another strange animal event. There was a lovely brown horse standing in a yard next to a tree and a fairly large rock. Not bad yet... right?

Well, atop the rock was a rather large goat (I'm sure there are breed specific names for both of these fine creatures by the way, but alas I don't know them). As its not so out of the ordinary to see goats on rocks this should seem to be not such a big deal.

The big deal with this situation was that it appeared that the goat was investigating the horses' behind. As in, the goat has it's nose nearly up the horses' arse. I mean, why? What good is it to stand around sniffing a horses' arse all day long? Was this a rare moment or was this common? And seriously... why?

I often wish I had the ability to talk to animals so I could learn just why they do the strange things that they do. Like, deer and squirrels... I'd love to know why they can't figure out which way to run to avoid being plowed by an automobile.

Speaking of squirrels, I talked to my sister on the phone today and I got to partake of the cutest hunting story yet. My brother-in-law is a very avid hunter, actually my sister is too when she gets the time to do it. So when I called my sister it was just her and my nephew in the house hanging out. The brother-in-law had taken my niece with him hunting in the woods by their house. It's bow season on deer and open squirrel season (if I'm not getting that all wrong... I am NOT a hunter and am trying to remember what I was told).

Apparently my brother-in-law and my niece were in a tree stand and spotted a hunky squirrel. As he aimed the gun my niece broke in with, "No, daddy! No!" at which he lowered the gun and gave up the hunt. I can just imagine.... that little prissy blond with her big blue eyes pleading for the life of a silly ol' squirrel.

But trust me... she'd have stayed quiet as a mouse if it were a deer. I'll never forget, when she was first learning to talk she was proud to know what sounds different animals make. A cow goes moo, a duck goes quack... but when you'd ask her what sound a deer makes... She's make a gun-shot sound with her mouth. Everyone rolled on the floor laughing at that one! She's a hoot.

Back to animals.

I have a rotted baby bird corpse still stuck in the grill on my truck. It's not the main front grill though. If it were I'd just poke it out with a stick or something. But this is a lower grill on the bottom of the motor behind the main hood components of my truck. And it's only visible when you're standing directly in front of the truck and looking down at the ground.

That bird has been there for over a month now. It's starting to really lose it's feathers and actually it appears that it's lost one wing finally. It should fall out soon. I hope. If not.. oh well... he can hitch a ride a little longer. Because the way it's wedged in there I'd have to pry out the grill mesh a little and but some real elbow grease into getting it dislodged.

Oh and I was actually chased away from food by a seagull in Connecticut yesterday. I had stopped to take a potty break at a service plaza and on my way back out of the building I'd noticed that a small flock of seagulls (not the ones with bad hair-do's either) had gathered around a hunk of some food type stuff on the ground near my truck. As I was making my way to my truck one of the gulls "crouched" and came right at me making a horrible squawking noise.

I'm not fond of birds for this reason. They're mean. And for some reason, they're all out to get me. But it's not just me... as it seems to run in the family. As a young 'en I watched my mom get chased by a white goose at a roadside park. The damn thing caught her and pinched the crap out of her on the back of her leg. That bruise lasted for weeks.

I can also recall a very funny, but annoying tale from about 6 years ago. I was living in Nebraska and had went home to West Virginia to visit family for a few weeks. Some very dear friends of mine also living in Nebraska were visiting their family in northern Ohio. They wanted to spend a day at Cedar Point and wanted me to come up and go with them. It was an awesome day, great weather and short lines for all the rides.

We were taking a breather and a meal at about mid-day. During our lunch we were pestered by pigeons begging for food. I commented that if we didn't feed them, they'd poop on us. Of course, we didn't feed them. And boy was I right.

About 30 minutes later we're walking through the park when one of my friends asks me what I spilled on my shirt. I looked... and then all three of us immediately started laughing. It was bird poop. Stoopid birds.

If anyone is a fan of the Bob and Tom morning radio show (syndicated, check it out) then you've probably heard comedian Tim Bedore talk about his Animal Conspiracy theory. It's true I tell ya... the animals know more than we give them credit for and they ARE out to get us.

Comments

The Daily Rant said…
Hey GiGi!!

When you have time (and I hope you do), I tagged you for a Meme.

Check out my post for the rules:

http://bellavenere.blogspot.com/2008/10/weird-and-random.html

I know, I know - I didn't ask you first if you would participate, so I beg your forgiveness. Now go check out my post and see if you want to participate!

Salena

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic