This and That

Let's see... I left off hauling a load to the Target DC in Tifton, GA. The delivery went well. The facility was easy enough to find and maneuver through, which always makes things much more pleasant. From there I dragged an empty trailer to swap out for a load at the Proctor & Gamble facility in Albany, GA. Taking a very beautiful scenic route on a very beautiful day along the way!

The load was going to a grocery distribution center in Columbia, SC which I got "detoured" (my new term for LOST) in finding. After making two passes down the road I was supposed to turn off of to get to the facility, I figured my best move was to call the place and ask for a land mark or something since I couldn't locate a street sign with the name I was looking for. Turns out, the street sign was there, just not fully erected on the street so much as MOWED down by some horrible driver I'm sure.

I finally arrived and made my delivery. Then I was off again! This time headed to Greenwood, SC. Again, a very nice scenic journey which I thoroughly enjoyed. Save for the end... when I got to the destination point according to my directions. Which was NOT the desitination point I needed to be at. I was "detoured" once again and in the beginning stages of panic, decided to call the facility for directions. Turns out my company provided directions were incorrect, taking me to the OLD facility site.... 12 miles across town in the boonies. I had to perform some tricky maneuvers to get turned around and headed in the right direction. Thank goodness the ladies knew their way around Greenwood very well and were able to give me the play by play as I drove through town to get to the other side.

Upon my arrival, I checked in, docked and hid in my sleeper berth and cried for about 20 minutes. It was very scary to be "detoured" in such a place where I wasn't sure I would be able to turn my 65' rig around. It was very... scary.

But I survived! woo hoo!

Gi-Gi 1 - Detour - 0.

The load I picked up there in Greenwood was destined for Dayton, Ohio. But I never made it there with the load myself.

After heading north with the load, I made it as far as I legally could without breaking the rules and stopped at a truck stop for the night. As I was filling out my daily log sheet, I realized that I had only 5 hours left to run the next day before I would exceed my 70 hours allowable in an 8 day period. Now, this five hours would have allowed me to get to my delivery point in Dayton... but it would NOT have allowed me to move until at least 12:01 am that night, at which point I would have gained back some hours. And unfortunately the facility didn't have sympathy towards that issue and would not agree to let me park on their site until midnight.

So, instead of me taking the load on up, the next morning another driver came to recover the load and take it the rest of the way. I had the pleasure of sitting at the truck stop doing my second EVER 34 hour restart, which allows me to gain back a full 70 hours. I'd try to explain it, but I've been told that it's too confusing for anyone who doesn't do this for a living or gives a crap! haha

I will never forget when I was first learning how it all worked. Oh, how many times I wanted to poke out my eyes and pull out all my hair in sheer frustration at the math and logic of it all! I found logging to be one of the most difficult things to learn, honestly. Primarily because of the math involved. I'm terrible at grasping mathematic concepts. Just ask the three professors at Marshall University that had to give me failing grades in College Algebra.... But thankfully I completely understand loggin now ... but man... it's taken me a while to get here! haha

After completing my 34 hour restart, which ended in the wee hours of this morning, I was then available for my next load and ready to run with a full 70 hours. I was dispatched for my next assignment at about 7:00 am, but I didn't leave until nearly 9:00 am. I needed to tend to a shower and coffee before I went anywhere!

When I was ready to roll, I had to head up north a bit to pick up an empty trailer at a Wal-Mart Distribution Center. I then dragged the empty down to Jefferson City, Tennessee where I traded it in for a loaded trailer at a John Deere Distribution Center.

Yup... hauling official Green and Yellow stuff! I'm a temporary redneck enabler! haha Actually that'd be a Canadian Redneck enabler, since this load's final destination is somewhere's in Canada. I, however, am only taking it as far as Columbus, OH where I will drop it at our terminal and then boogie my bob-tailed arse towards home!

Yay! I can't wait... I get to go home! For four days! I won't have to sleep in my rig again until Tuesday night! Woot woot! I will be able to drink beer. I fully intend on eating first thing at Cilantro's.... big fat fish burrito, yum! Then Friday I'm meetin' one of my best friends for beer and mexican food! YUM YUM!

Then it's party hearty Saturday, celebrating the ol' mans' birthday, which of course means more beer! And then the rest of the weekend is still up in the air. Although, I am going Sunday afternoon to get my hair the rest of the way wacked off. yeah... not short enough yet! haha

So there you have it! I'm outta here for now. I need to sleep. Long day of driving tomorrow! Toodles!



Oh wait, I wanted to mention a helarious tidbit that is sure to make you smile.

I was driving down the road yesterday and was about to cross a bridge over a scenic river in south eastern America when a sign caught my eye, made me think, then made me smile... and finally laugh out loud. I wanted to share this with you, as I'm sure you will also find the humor in the following:

I crossed the "Peter Guice Memorial Bridge".

I kid you not... that was indeed his name. Pronunciation yet to be determined. But I read it like juice... but it could possibly be like gweese or something... regardless... I think his parents hated him and I'm fairly certain he obtained a fair amount of ridicule as a child.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Mmm...Jello