Time Flies...

I can't believe it's June 1st. Already. Geesh! Where does the time go?!

Last time I was home my sweetie pie and I sent to visit his family for the weekend. During several discussions over the course of the weekend I was reminded of how precious time really is. It surprised me to learn from one topic that it had been not just a couple months, but instead it had been quite a few months, since my last visit with them. As in, it was probably around Thanksgiving the last I saw anyone on that side of his family. I could have sworn I'd seen them since, but I hadn't. Dang reality bites!

Another conversation brought up the need to do a quick calculation to determine just how much time I've actually been home over the course of 12 months on the road. I was disheartened to learn that my best guesstimate of the amount time I'd been home over the course of a year was somewhere in the ballpark of just over two months. Of course that two months is taken in 2-3 day increments sparingly, with a week vacation in the mix.

Sad. Seriously.

It's made me realize just how much I've been sacrificing for this life on the road. Adventuress I may be, but my heart will always be at home, waiting for my body to return.

Now before it seems I'm getting all depressing, I have to admit that while I have sacrificed quite a lot, it hasn't been for not. I love this career, this lifestyle, this whatever you wanna call it. It's certainly not just a job. I live it, breathe it, eat, sleep and drink it. I believe that half of my wardrobe will forever smell like diesel and exhaust fumes, and ya know... I'm cool with that.

It's just that there are days when I get all wishy washy and think about all of the things I'm not doing at home while I'm out here on the road. I'm missing out on bbq's and ball games and get togethers with family or friends. I hear about all of the fun everyone else is having while I sit in my truck waiting for the days to pass so I get to join them for a couple of days.

It's tough, but still.... worth it. I feel torn when I think about getting off the road and living the other life I dream about. I really want that other existence... now more than ever. But this life will always keep a hold on me, pulling at me to get behind the wheel and head out on the open road.

I know I've got a while yet before that other life begins. I have a time for more adventures. To experience and bank more stories for telling around dinner tables with friends who will laugh at the silliness, sadness, weirdness and insanity of it all.

In the meantime I just have to try extra hard to make sure I make the most of the time I do have at home. For myself and for those I love. I hope that those closest to me understand how much I truly appreciate their support. I couldn't have done this without them.

Comments

Sam Huss said…
I think we all have those times when we wish for that life where we could be there for all those things. Seems the holidays really bring that out. Driving down the road and looking out at a lake or camp ground and seeing everyone having a blast while you are working for the umpteenth day or week straight just makes a person long for that!

I'm the same myself. I love this job so much I don't think I could ever do anything else. Yet often I find myself wishing I had a 9-5 job...It's the life we lead I suppose!
The Daily Rant said…
Has your boyfriend ever considered driving team with you?
Anonymous said…
Gi-Gi...Im right there with you. I actually DID quit for six months and just couldnt make the money that I needed to live like I want my family to live. The road just called back to me. Im gonna try to find something local in a year or so, though. Maybe you can get a local gig so you can be home more.
KTNeeley said…
We are one of the same....enjoyed reading this blog. I am living the dream flying, while you are on the open road...It takes a certain person to live the life we do! There are days when I feel that I am missing out, but this lifestyle is in my blood. Look forward to reading about more of your adventures! Take Care and Drive safe!
Angela said…
Salena, he's considered it then dismissed it. With our rental business it's too tough to have both of us gone in case of tenant/tenament emergency.

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Don't Panic