Social Butterfly

I've recently been dealing with a sort of inner (and more recently outer) turmoil over a social networking site (SNS). I had been a member of another SNS for quite a long time before I even dipped my toes into the water of the one I am now exclusively on. At first I hated it the new (to me) site, swearing I'd never see myself spending much time on it. But before long I found myself deleting my old SNS account and setting up my online home base on the newer one. Bah.

Since making the change, I've reconnected with even more people than I had on the other, which has been awesome. But I've also found myself spending countless hours each week checking up on the happenings of my SNS friends', more so since I found the free iPhone app that is way more accessible than firing up the laptop like in the "old days". haha

All of the convenience of the iPhone app and the SNS in general has fostered a new addiction for me, addiction to the nonsense and booshie (B.S.) that is social networking. I find myself itching to grab my iPhone to fire up the app to see what everyone is into, countless times a day.

What's going on in their world? Am I missing out on something? What should I post for them to see? Do they care what I'm doing? Why hasn't anyone responded to my post?

.....commence the spiral out of control from there....

My addiction to the minutiae of everyone else's day has made me begin to once again feel insecure, paranoid, and a whole mess of other negative emotions about myself and my life. And that just sucks.

I have worked so hard over the past few years to beat down and overcome, in particular, my paranoia. It has been hard and I doubt that it will ever really truly be a thing of my past. I believe that I will always have the chance to fall back into that state of extreme paranoia, especially without constantly tending to that part of my psyche. Tending time now being taken up by a SNS.

So to have something as silly as a SNS causing me to fall back into my old habits pisses me off. I almost deleted my account the other night. And I am actually planning to liberate myself before the years' end. I have been posting messages to let everyone know that I will not be participating much longer. Offering them my email address should they choose to stay in touch.

I guess what it really boils down to for me at this point is that I am just tired of feeling like a dancing monkey. I put on a show for all to see, read, approve of, comment upon, etc. every day on the site. And at the end of the day I find myself wondering why no one read, approved of, commented upon, etc. my posts. Which in turn pisses me off.

Why should I care what anyone else thinks?

Truth be told, most of these people could probably care less about me and my day to day minutiae. If it weren't for the SNS's, most of them would even be a part of my life today. Did any of them ever scour the Internet to find me before the sites existed? No, I doubt it. If they had they'd have easily found me, my email address, likely even my phone number and home address.

Those who cared, stayed in touch after high school. Those who didn't, just wanted to add me to their "friends" list on the SNS's to make them look popular. Which takes me to my next beef with the SNS's in general.

They are so HIGH SCHOOL. Drama and all.

Gee, writing this makes me wanna go delete my account right now. It's nonsense. It's pointless. It's stressful, yet entertaining. The addiction is gonna be hard to break, but like quitting smoking I have to set a date, a goal and give myself time to mentally prepare for it. I'm giving those who care time to get my email address, phone number, etc. before I toss my account in the recycle bin. After that... whatever.... they're on their own.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes Facebook is much better than Myspace. I cancelled Myspace also when I found how much more user friendly Facebook is.
Anonymous said…
Hi!
I read your posts most every day. Feel free to refer me as your friendly lurker. I've never commented, but you're part of my daily routine; checking to see if you've written a post. If I didn't enjoy your posts, I wouldn't be lurking most every day. (!). This morning, my commute was in nasty drizzle, and I kept pace behind a Schneider tractor trailer. I wondered if it was you behind the wheel, or if you'd blog about driving through Nashville, during the morning commute, in the rain.

Even though we've never met, ever though I've never commented, remember you have a bunch of friendly lurkers like me.

Best regards!
Lori
Anonymous said…
too cool. cut those strings and get some freedom!
Anonymous said…
A more accurate reflection may be the number of us who check your site every day to hear about your adventures.
Angela said…
I have decided that my SNS account will be deleted by New Years. Sort of a resolution to get back in touch with REAL people the old fashioned way. Ya know, by email! I'd love to take up a letter writing campaign. How fun would that be? People just don't write letters anymore. It's not only nostalgic but also very personal and intimate. It's a lost art really. Sure you can send messages via email or instant message or text. But those means certainly lack the charming qualities that make letter writing so wonderful.

Lori, I wasn't in Nashville, but I was driving in rain during my commute yesterday. As I shall today it seems.

It's nice to know I have readers out there that aren't as vocal as others as far as commenting goes. I do have a site-meter that lets me know how many people visit me each day. I can even get a general location of most individiuals.

I do have one reader in Bow, New Hampshire that appears regularly. I always wonder if it's "Truck Stop Josh". I may never know! :o)
The Daily Rant said…
I see your point about the social networking stuff....I'm on just about everything; Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter....I will never do MySpace, don't like it, and as for the ones I'm on....I don't do them obsessively. I check in, don't always do status updates and never can seem to find anything work saying on Twitter, although I do for some reason, have followers! I think they're waiting for "that moment" way I have something interesting to say.

LinkedIn has been good for me though - I contacted the CEO of a company when she put out a call for information from the trucking industry and not only am I now prominently linked on their site, but she also wants to make me a "mentor" for new drivers coming into the industry.

And I was also contacted through LinkedIn by a field producer for a company out of Canada who asked me if I would be interested in writing for their site...now I am.

I read you all the time too, and I really enjoy what you have to say. I don't ALWAYS comment, but I do read.

As for the letter writing thing - I'm with you all the way on that. I would love to find people who actually like to write and read letters! Who doesn't love to receive a letter in the mail? :)
Anonymous said…
I really hate to see you leaving facebook but at the same time I completely understand and feel the same about people not responding to posts (or in my case messages). I'm getting your info right after I finish typing this because I'm not wanting to lose touch with you. (I've known you for 28 of your 30 years afterall!) Please try to keep in touch with us as well please???


Gail
Jason S Harry said…
Hi Gigi!

I'm an active Facebook user and I find it helpful if I don't have two sided conversations with only myself- if my friends don't like or acknowledge what I say/comment/post, who gives a hoot? I read lots of peoples stuff and view their pictures without commenting, that doesn't change my view of how I think about them as people but I still appreciate the value of somehow knowing what they are up to.

I also had a valuable experience recently and Facebook helped bring it on. It's the update on my blog currently, so check it out when you can! And please consider not suspending your account- just let it be for awhile. Your friends might miss you but not have the emotional intelligence to tell you so in person, and others might not have had the chance to find you yet! You have lots of friends in your loyal readers, and I'm one of them!
Anonymous said…
I read and enjoy your blog even though this is the first time I have ever voiced that.

I totally support your decision regarding SNS.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Camera Help...

Open Forum

Blowin' Stuff Up